Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

Timing belt removal

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2005, 04:56 PM
Default Timing belt removal

Hi Guys and Girls
I was wondering if someone might be able to tell me where i might find detailed instructions and photos
on the replacement of a timing belt in my daughters 1999 Montero Sport. I have the whole front of the engine apart down to exposing the timing belt, but i can't seem to find timing marks on the sprockets and
i'm not sure what to loosen as far as removing the belt. I thought i would just make sure my cam sprockets did not move as i marked them in the position that they are at the present and loosen the bolt on the belt tensioner. When i try to do that, it seems it just makes the belt tighter, ?? I don't want to break anything, so i am in need of guidance.
Thanks in advance
Gene

Old 04-26-2005, 10:55 AM
pc
Default RE: Timing belt removal

You can pick up a manual at most auto parts stores, I prefer the factory manual $150.00 which you can get from Helm. The local library might also have one. You should set the engine to TDC (compression) on #1 cylinder, there also should be timing marks on the flywheel pulley and cam sprokets, if not make your own marks. The key ways may be the only alignment needed. Some engines allow you to advance or retard the cam sprokets a tooth or so, but you will need a manual to determine if you can or should do this. You may also need to remove the distributor?? so mark it's postion as well. You will also need to prevent the cam sprokets from turning after the belt is removed. The valve springs tend to want to spin the cams. There is an inexpensive tool that locks them together so they won't turn. Be sure to replace the cam seals while you're in there as well as anything else (seals, etc.) that's mostly labor to replace. Do you have the flywheel pulley off yet? That can be a real problem if you don't have an air impact wrench. I bought a belt tool that wraps around the pulley but I needed to attach a long pipe and the help of my wife to get enough torque to crack the bolt. Be sure to re-torque the flywheel pulley to proper specs as well as everything else.

Old 05-10-2005, 02:52 PM
Default RE: Timing belt removal

I would get a manual for sure. I would also consider replacing other parts as mentioned on the other post. However, cam seals would not be my first item of choice to replace. It depends on the mileage as far as what you replace. If you are only at 60k and plan on doing it again at 120k I would do the belt only. But, I would replace all the other belts as well as the radiator hoses and the thermostat. If you are at 120k I would do the tensioner as well as the tensioner and idler pulley, and the water pump. Maybe the cam seals. You will need a C-Clamp that opens to 6inches in order to compress the tensioner. Compress it very slowly.