Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

transfer case indicator lights flashing!!!! please help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2022, 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by Mr. Z.
I recently had a flashing transfer case light on the '02 Montero. Before even pulling the codes, I crawled under the rig to inspect each plug connection. These are exposed to a lot of debris over the years, and although they are weather-proof connections, they can corrode and/or become loose. One at a time, I disconnected each plug and cleaned the contacts. Then plugged them back in with some dielectric grease. That's it! No more flashing transfer case lights.
...hope this helps.
Cheers
Mr. Z, you are my hero, I just got a 2002 Montero LTD, good condition, so I’ve been tracking your replies and contributions. My C/D orange light has been blinking almost 15 miles into my trip, usually just on the freeway for some reason, and after I turn the engine off and restart, the light resets, but comes on in 15 miles again. I’m going to try to crawl under and look at the sensors and connectors myself. My question is, can I do this on my own without a car lift (I’m not a mechanic), and once I get down there if I am able to, I can probably Google to see where the connectors are, but would love a link or instructions of any kind, so that I can possibly save some money! Anything you can tell me will probably help, thanks again!

Old 10-27-2022, 07:39 AM

The connectors are located on the rear of the transfer case, near the top of the case, on passenger side of the output shaft. You'll see four (if I recall correctly) connectors. They're a bit hard to get to, but I just crawled under the rig in my garage with a flashlight. The connectors will all be in a row next to each other. Unplug them one at a time, clean the contacts (I used some 600 grit sand paper and a pick to get them shinny), then apply some dielectric grease. Be sure the plugs snap back in snuggly.
...hope this helps.
Cheers

Old 07-29-2024, 02:27 PM

ground pin1 to pin4 on code connection for OBC.

Old 07-30-2024, 07:53 AM

Originally Posted by jhill15
I just bought my 03 limited yesterday drove it about 20 miles in 2High, stopped and turned it off. When I got back in and took off "still in 2 high" about 1/2 a mile down the road the transfer case lights on the dash started flashing. At first while the 2 rear wheels were lit green just as they should in 2 high the 2 front wheels started flashing green. After about another 1/2 mile all lights on the transfer case indicator disappeared and the center diff lock light started flashing. I stopped and tried switching the gear from 2h to 4h, 4hl, 4llc, i could move the shifter but it would not indicate it on the dash the cdl light just kept flashing, so I pulled off the road turned off the truck and started it back up...all is good, and everything has worked fine since.

Any thoughts????

Thanks
Hello,
Ive had a very similar problem with my 2002 montero. I found that replacing the vacuum lines to the 4wd system fixed this problem. Most likely you have a vacuum leak that is causing this.