Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

Transmission Question 2002 Limited

Old 04-09-2006, 09:58 PM
Default RE: Transmission Question 2002 Limited

ORIGINAL: jcasaccio

Ok, did a full flush tonight and got out only about 4.5 - 5.0 qts. Disconnected line from cooler and ran in neutral till it stopped flowing out. Then drained pan. Could there still be some old in there?

I am worried that the trans was running really low on fluid - supposed to get about 6.3 qts out.

The old fluid was not burnt or black (had about 20k on it). Should I be worried? It never shifted hard or anything.

Jack
Jack,

Not sure if that's a recommended method of changing the tranny fluid. At the lube place they have one tube taking in lube while the other tube drains the old oil. They stop when the fluid coming out runs clear.

Old 04-09-2006, 10:29 PM

Just an FYI-

This method is fine as it is straight out of the manufacturer maintenance manual - this approach and/or using a machine to pump the fluid out.

Thanks,
Jack

Old 04-10-2006, 06:20 PM

That method is acceptable for almost any car. Volvo, Mercedes, Ford,Chevy. Nothing particlularly important about replacing the fluid as it comes out. it is just easier to do with the special machine.

However, I would have drained the fluid from the pan first. Then refilled the pan. Then disconnected the hose to the cooler. The tranny pump gets the fluid from the pan, so you want that fluid to be perfectly clean.

Based on your description, you probably have some old fluid still in the tranny, but that is no big deal. You just need to be sure that you check your fluid level frequently to be sure you have the correct amount in your tranny.

Old 04-10-2006, 07:37 PM

Level on dipstick is a little high - about 3/4 inch above 'Full' mark. Is this ok? It's not excessively full. I just don't want to mess with it anymore.

On my Pontiac, I purposely overfilled it a little - more clean fluid. Forums said that was ok. Just want to be sure same holds true for Montero.

Thanks for your input!

Old 04-11-2006, 12:46 PM

Automatic transmission fluid level varies quite a bit with temperature. On the dipstick there is a hot range and a cold range. I think the only problem with having it too full is that it might over flow on a really hot day or when it is under a lot of load. So you would see a big cloud of smoke pouring out from under your car because the fluid would fall onto the exhaust pipe.

OTOH. I personally would drain a bit out if the level was too high.

Old 04-11-2006, 11:27 PM

I fixed the overfill tonight. It was 3/4 qt too much. I feel better now.....

Old 04-23-2019, 06:52 PM

Reading this 15 years later is sad since SPIII ATF is now $15 a bottle.
But great thread! Exactly what I needed in conjunction with the thread about drive train shudder at 40mph in my 2002 Montero Limited. Thanks.

Old 01-25-2024, 02:51 PM
Default 5 years later and 3000 miles away

Originally Posted by logantanner
Reading this 15 years later is sad since SPIII ATF is now $15 a bottle.
But great thread! Exactly what I needed in conjunction with the thread about drive train shudder at 40mph in my 2002 Montero Limited. Thanks.
I have a 2002 Mitsubishi Montero sport that just rolled over 300k and has finally started giving some transmission issues. I've been keeping this girl running for my mom for years and she just signed the title over to me. These forums have been extremely helpful. Anyway, I'm in NC and just found SPIII ATF from a localish dealership at $9/qt!! Needless to say, I'll be stocking up and keeping this guy on my speed dial for any parts I need in the future.

Old 01-26-2024, 08:24 AM
jc@

I have a 2002 Montero Sport XLS.
About 5 years ago, I thought my transmission was finished. Started with a barely noticeable slip going up hills. Within a week it was so bad I thought it was time for replacement.
I'm pretty bad about squeezing a nickle so I thought if I do the FLUSH shown in my manual, maybe? I'd never heard of resurrecting a tranny before.
Lots of chatter and the consensus always seemed to be if it gets to that point it's likely too late. To be honest I thought it was going to be a waste of money.
I finally convinced myself after looking at rebuild/new options what could I loose? $70 Bucks!!! Prices were outrageous and I'm retired so pennies count.

At any rate, I couldn't believe it! At first it was just a bit better and I was depressed! Then as I drove it gingerly and after about 3 short trips it was back to normal.
Now I'm not the lucky kind of guy and this may have been once in a lifetime but it worked for me. The option was BIG Bucks.

Jeff