Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

Uh Oh. More funny sounds.

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2006, 12:55 PM
Default Uh Oh. More funny sounds.

As my wife pulled out of the garage with my 95 I heard some funny sounds from the engine. Then when I got to work today, I heard them again. As I was walking in (in my morning daze) I realized it is probably a pulley bearing. It is kind of a rattling clicking sound. My pulley bearings are original. Dang! I have a 25 mile commute home. What to do....

Old 12-13-2006, 08:27 PM
Banned
Default RE: Uh Oh. More funny sounds.

was it when she turned the wheel to full lock?

Old 12-13-2006, 09:13 PM

If it's the first you've heard them then you're probably okay. I'd get them checked out right away though. Assuming it's anything like my 3.0L SOHC v6 and you do it yourself, you're looking at a full evening of work possibly into the early morning (6-8hrs). If you have someone else do it, then it can get expensive since they have to remove the entire front of the engine. They only need to remove the radiator if they're being lazy.

Not sure how complicated it gets when you factor in a DOHC design.

While you're doing this, you may as well also replace your tensioner, timing belt, other belts, front seal, etc.

HTH.

Old 12-18-2006, 12:48 PM

Well, I replaced the power steering pump pulley and it did not fix the sound. So, I did the full timing belt replacement. Wow, I had forgotten how it is such a crappy job. (6.5 hours)

Got it back together, and now the engine purrs like a kitten. The funny thing is, there were no obviously bad parts. The water pump bearing was a bit noisy, and the belt was a bit loose. Anyway, it is nice and quiet now. It has new;

Timing belt
Water Pump
Idler pulley and tensioner pulley
accessory belts
thermostat
coolant

It cost $280 for all of the parts and fluids.

I had changed the belt and water pump at 90k in 2000. The truck has 169k on it now.

One little tip. A mirror really helped me ensure that the timing marks were lined up.