Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

2007-2008 Outlander Reliability

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2013, 03:38 AM

Originally Posted by Jason_N
I hope you did NOT buy the Outlander. This has been the worst vehicle I have ever owned and it has been in for service more than any other car ever! There are things on it that have not worked right since day one. And every problem anyone has had I have had them all. And all the dealerships that used to be around here had no clue how to fix anything. Ok, where do I start? No power, unsafe how slow it is on takeoff! Rear windows rolled up off track since day 1 and I had to fix that because Mitsu techs are too stupid. Service reminder thinks I should drive like 17,000 miles before oil change! And now it has been parked for a month because it has a busted cv joint that is covered under warranty but Mitsu Corp rep for my area is a complete bitch and is trying to get out of covering it because mitsu wants $900 for a stupid cv shaft. What ever you do, do not buy a Mitsubishi!!!! All local dealers closed and now the closest one is 3 hours away. Worst purchase ever!
Sorry you feel that way about the truck. I guess the saying does work here that you got the sour apple in the bunch. I'm pretty sure other Mitsubishi outlander owners here will agree with me when I say I love my truck and it hardly has giving me issues.

Old 03-23-2013, 03:11 PM

Exactly, most people are quite happy with the reliability of their Outlander. My 08's only issue ever was a weak radio signal, which was a moot point since I replaced it with an aftermarket stereo. I'd take that any day over some cars which break down and leave you stranded.

The window issue (a known issue on 07/08) is a free fix which I had the dealer do just in case. They did the fix without issue, so it sounds like your local dealer is crap.

The service interval is up to you and your fault for not telling the dealer to set it to what you want or doing it yourself.

Likewise, I don't see how a wear and tear item (CV joint) would ever be covered by warranty. My guess is you probably drove it aggressively off road or hit a very big bump to break it...they rarely ever break unless abused (they start clicking first and make weird sounds when turning). However, they never break unless undue stress is put on them.

Old 03-24-2013, 07:41 PM

First I think it's funny ivans, that you assume I never let the dealer know or that I didn't try myself to fix it. The dealership is the ones who screwed it up when I asked if they could set it to 5,000 instead of the 7,500. well they set it to 13,000 and couldn't figure out how to set it back. When I reset it thats what it goes to. And yes, a cv boot is a wearable but the joint is not and should not be bad this soon. Especially since it is only front wheel drive and mostly driven by my wife on the highway, and never driven aggressively! Stop making stupid assumptions, you sound like you work for mitsu!

Old 03-24-2013, 08:07 PM

And what did they do to fix the windows? If you were able to find out. And yes Cheech, you can call it a sour apple or a lemon!!!

Old 03-24-2013, 10:19 PM

First I think it's funny ivans, that you assume I never let the dealer know or that I didn't try myself to fix it. The dealership is the ones who screwed it up when I asked if they could set it to 5,000 instead of the 7,500. well they set it to 13,000 and couldn't figure out how to set it back. When I reset it thats what it goes to. And yes, a cv boot is a wearable but the joint is not and should not be bad this soon. Especially since it is only front wheel drive and mostly driven by my wife on the highway, and never driven aggressively! Stop making stupid assumptions, you sound like you work for mitsu!
Well you obviously didn't try yourself, because its stickied right on top of this forum and comes up on Google searches.

I don't believe you/assume the worst because:
a. You signed up for this forum just to bash the car, which leads me to believe you are a troll.
b. You are complaining about issues which I've never heard about, and I've basically read all posts on this forum since 2009.
c. You don't drive the car, and are giving 3rd person information. How do you know your wife didn't hit some giant hole/sidewalk and keep it from you?

Likewise, FWD would put more stress on the CV joints vs 4WD...so I don't see how it being a FWD would make it less of an issue?

And what did they do to fix the windows? If you were able to find out. And yes Cheech, you can call it a sour apple or a lemon!!!
They greased the rails and did something else. I just brought them the TSB and they did it without questions. There is a description on this forum from a while back (search for it).

Old 03-25-2013, 10:49 AM

Thanks for your vote of confidence ivanz. I did try to look it up myself, and even changed the region to another region and back because that's what it stated to try everywhere I looked but that did not work because they manually changed what my region value was. And if I didn't try then I wouldn't have been able to fix the rear windows myself by adding a spacer to the window track that is bolted to the door.

I signed up for this forum hoping to find information and answers to a few of my questions, not for trolling, and definitely not to be bashed on by people like you. And if you had never heard of any of my issues then why did you act like you knew about all of them, even having one of them yourself? The only one I haven't seen anyone else having is the power problem, which is strange in itself and probably isolated to ours! I do drive the outlander, but my wife drives it a little more than I do. And I know my wife's driving habits and also know that she would tell me if anything happened first thing. The joint is busted because the boot busted and neither me nor anyone else noticed it soon enough, so don't assume we can't drive. I was stating it was fwd because we would never take a fwd off road because that would be stupid. So if you have some useful info, like where the link is on the service reminder then I would appreciate it! But if not, keep your assumptions to yourself!

Old 03-25-2013, 01:36 PM

@Jason_N,

I have an '04 Outy and couldn't be happier with my truck. Liked it so much that I got my wife the '10 and she loves hers. Haven't had major issues that Mitsu didn't take care of without a problem under warranty.

Also, I do agree with you that the cv joint should be covered under warranty. I looked up my warranty on Mitsu website and it specifically states that the cv's are covered. I would get directly in contact with Mitsu and let corporate hq know what's going on with your local dealer. I've always found their customer service to be top notch at the corporate level. Sucks that you'll have to go that far, but as long as you haven't surpassed the warranty boundaries then they should take care of you.

Good luck with getting your truck fixed!! Hope it turns out well.

Old 07-04-2023, 10:46 PM

Originally Posted by tdford
I bought my '07 off the lot new. I have 85k miles and have had ZERO problems. I have a mechanic that I trust and he tells me that everything is in check.
- Tranny fluid is still clean, no need for a flush.
- Power steering fluid ok
- brakes ok, would like to upgrade pads/rotors soon
- my coolant must have a small leak because we add some about once a year
- have replaced tires ONCE

Is it the perfect vehicle? No, but for the last 5 years I have no complaints. I purchased because IMO it was the best bang for the buck. I feel that the reliability has been no doubt ideal, especially with not having it in the shop other than for oil changes and tire rotations.

Things I love:
- handeling in wet/snowy conditions (live in Colorado, defenitely the best vehicle I've driven in the snow)
- spacey back seat, passengers cant believe how much room
- HID lights
- bluetooth
- FAST key (wouldnt buy a car without it now)
- tailgate (great for loading, and duh, tailgating)

How long did your car end up lasting? I’m looking at an 08 right now with 95k on it.

Old 10-22-2023, 10:29 AM

The outlander is reliable, but a couple of things.
There is somehow a lot of hate towards the brand on people that watches you tube.
At the time Mitsubishi gave out loans that are highly affordable, no money down 0 interest or other crazy loans. This attracted buyers who can't afford to maintain the car.

The GT/XLS is completely different drivetrain than the ES, the ES at the time CVT tech is still just coming out, poor reputation and drivability, not the greatest transmission. You need to change the fluid religiously, guess what the people who cannot change their oil let alone CVT fluid. That's why the outlanders get traded / repo, other people buy them for cheap and then complain they need a new transmission.
The ES was very affordable, like 20K new. People tend to drive the heck out of them. The interior on them is 100% hard plastic.

The GT has a very nice engine and a bullet proof 6 speed auto running very low RPM at highway speeds, with S-AWC. Leather seats, crazy good sound system. It has soft trims to hide some of the plastics.
The leather is real, what about today, you buy a 50k+ Toyota they just have soft tex no real leather. Even Lexus don't come with real leather seats on their base trims.

The bad, dealership network seems shrinking. Mitsubishi doing pretty much all crossover type vehicles except the mirage, they are actually thinking ahead of their times, a lot of manufactures are discontinuing their small cars.
But sometimes you will see a new owner building a new Mitsubishi dealership in town.

Now, I have driven 2022 Outlander SEL, their CVT is quite good now. They have done well after 10 years, as their previous attempt was to recycle parts from previous outlander and add some chrome inside and out.
The new outlander is completely redesigned. However it's not the same Outlander, it's their version of Nissan Rogue. You sit quite low to the ground, when you open the door you can tell it is low, the door comes close to the curb. Somehow they made the interior more spacious, 2nd row have more room. (the doors seems thin, the hood flutters when driving and they are replacing them) It can drives itself on the freeway cruise control.
Now with the hybrid getting a lot of looks, expensive but a bargain, I don't see Mitsubishi leaving US anymore.

Last edited by OutlanderGT; 10-22-2023 at 10:35 AM.