Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

2007 DRL - Daytime Running Lights Disabled!

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2008, 02:36 AM
Default 2007 DRL - Daytime Running Lights Disabled!

Ive been scouring the internet for ways to disable the DRLs with no success. Ive found short answers and tips but nothing was succesful for my 2007 LS 4WD (NON-HID!)

I spent a couple hours with a voltmeter and was successful with a simple bypass! I amNOT positive if this would work for the HID equipped Outlanders... but will work for all 2007 (and maybe 2008) NON-HID models.

To sum it all up, i pulled the resistor/relay that controls the DRL... then added my own relay to control the on/off of the headlights. There are fuses for "DRL" and otherrelays in the fusebox alreadybut none of them turned off the DRLs... and if they do then the headlights dont work anymore either. This mod is all contained under the engine bay fusebox, with 2 small wires running outward to GROUND and DRIVERS SIDE FRONT PARKING LIGHT +. (NOTE: You will lose the ability to run your parking lights only, as the headlights come on with the first tumble of your column mounted headlight switch... but who cares)

It takes about an hour to install, and requires: (1) 12v Standard relay ($4), ~4' of 16awg Wire, and a few crimp on connectors. The install is VERY simple and should last forever (although ive only tested it for 2 nights so far)... if the relay somehow wears out over time... its a quick $4 plug and play.

If you would like a complete install process, possibly with some pics and diagrams... post back or email meand let me know. LsRamAir@yahoo.com

!!***** You modify your vehicle at your own risk, I take no responsibility for your actions and/or outcome*****!!

-Jimmy

........................UPDATED BELOW........................

1. Remove the DRL+Headlight relay

Name:  RemoveRelay.jpg
Views: 11264
Size:  63.2 KB

2. Run wire from the parking/running light positive (drivers side) and one from the chassis ground ring (about 2-3 feeteach wire)

Name:  ParkingPositiveAndGround.jpg
Views: 8230
Size:  33.5 KB

3. Using an Inline 15A Fuse+Box, Various Male/Female Crimp Ends, a Standard Switching Relay and some wire... you create a simple circuit. When your parking lights come on (first tumble of the column mounted headlight switch) it will switch the relay and complete the circuit for the headlights to turn on. Normally the oem DRL+Headlight Relay does the switching, but we removed it... now by simplybridging 2 of the ports in the empty socket in the fusebox it will turn on the headlights.

Name:  TopView.jpg
Views: 9655
Size:  69.9 KB

Name:  FullSide.jpg
Views: 9047
Size:  83.3 KB

4. Cut a notch in the plastic on the fusebox for the wiring to pass through when the cover is on so it doesnt get pinched.

Complete!

P.S. - as noted above... when you turn on your parking/running lights the headlights will also come on. You lose individual control of them... which mattered nothing to me anyways. You could add the (turn on) circuit to any switched power source you want and possibly keep individual control but it will be a little more involved.

Old 01-21-2008, 12:54 PM
Default RE: 2007 DRL - Daytime Running Lights Disabled!

Posting up a how-to would be great if you could!!

Old 05-07-2008, 09:17 PM

Added a How-To to my original post above (due to an email request)

I have had ZERO issues with this mod so far over the past few months. Weather in california the car has experienced has been from 15f up to 105f in case it matters to you.

I can answer any questions you may have.

-Jimmy

(Also, please post in this other thread https://mitsubishiforum.com/m_219657/mpage_2/tm.htmin case you have dents on your hood that YOU DIDNT CAUSE! THANKS!)

Old 05-08-2008, 11:01 AM

Nice post!!!

Old 05-08-2008, 07:23 PM

Nice guide. But, why do you want to do this? Unless you are a Private Investigator or something, I can't think of a reason.

Old 05-08-2008, 07:44 PM

I also dont know why you would want to do this. There just drl and you never see them.

Old 05-08-2008, 11:28 PM

I can think of a few reasons to disable the DRLs.

1. Backing in to the drive-the master bedroom for the house across the street faces my
driveway. I get home late at night (usually)-I don't like shining my lights right into their
bedroom

2. Hunting-I don't like shining lights all over the various hunting areas I pass-it may spook game and
interfere with someone else's hunt

3. Choice-there's no law requiring them, so I should have the choice to have them off or on.

4. Working a firing line at a night shoot. You don't want to interfere with the shooters night
vision because your car has DRLs

The list could keep going on......

Old 05-09-2008, 07:35 AM

So it's all about guns, including the one under the bed of the neighbour accross the street! .

Old 05-09-2008, 03:20 PM

Lol. Just pull into the driveway, your DLRs arent bright at all anyway. Driving around in the dark going out to hunt you should have lights on anyway. You could hit a deer, or hit another hunter.If your driving in the day light then DRLs wont affect anything. Theres no law but DLRs lower your insurance, for safety reasons. I agree with you on number 4 but I dont see how a car driving in the dark would make me feel shooting. Also dont drive toward the people shooting keep the lights away.

Old 05-10-2008, 06:11 AM

2g0s0r1 provided extra information with good intentions.

I think that some of you have gone too far and are being rude.
If you're not going to contribute, I don't think being overly critical belongs on this thread or this site.
I'd think the Admin should know if you are only here to spread bad feelings among members.

Peace.

Quick Reply: 2007 DRL - Daytime Running Lights Disabled!