Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

2007 DRL - Daytime Running Lights Disabled!

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2008, 08:56 AM
Default RE: 2007 DRL - Daytime Running Lights Disabled!

Good post, but I have some reservations about it...

1) You are tapping straight into the Headlight signal that comes from the ECU. This signal has no fuse and no protection. If you wire something wrong, you will blow your ECU - guaranteed. Say goodbye to $1000... :-(

2) The signal going to the standard automotive relay is still flickering at 65Hz which means the relay will also flicker at 65Hz. This could lead to voltage spikes on the ECU line (Back EMF from the relay coil discharge) killing the ECU, OR premature relay failure from the flickering, OR premature bulb failure due to flicker OR premature ballast failure due to voltage flicker.

Just my 2 cents.

I've done quite a bit of investigating on DRL (I wrote the thread on disabling DRL's for HID linked by rtrackr99 above)

Old 06-05-2008, 10:50 AM

#1. It has the same protection it already had... no more, no less.

#2. My relay is not flickering, and my steady reading voltmeter confirms the stability across the circuit.

As you stated though... you were researching the HID version.

oh and #3.... everything has been working great for months. I figure if i hadnt disabled the DRLs a while back, i would have already went past the lamplife(actual)of my aftermarket bulbs.

Old 06-06-2008, 12:06 AM

Hey Afeudale,
Thanks for the reply, but...

Did you write the Mitsubishi-forums entry on "How to DRLs..."?
http://www.mitsubishi-forums.com/t31...and-hid39s.htm

If you did, what about Option 3 with the MOSFET electronic switching circuit?
Are you "cutting down" your own posted information???

Do you have any suggestions for those of us interested in adding an aftermarket HID kit?

Aloha!
E

Old 06-06-2008, 09:34 AM

2g0s0r1,

On closer inspection of your original photos, I misinterpreted them and thought you were driving the relay from the ECU output. My mistake - so most of what I originally said is moot - i.e. no flickering. However, that said, people should be forewarned that by removing the MOSFET (DRL "Relay"), they are wide open to all sorts of mishaps. There are 4 pins exposed when removing the MOSFET, 2 of them you are using with the relay to drive the headlights, one goes to 12V and the other goes to the ECU (and is an unfused, unprotected pin). If someone were to miswire your setup and utilize that 4th pin instead of the proper 2, they could say bye to their ECU altogether.

So although you did not remove any inherent protection so-to-speak, by removing the MOSFET and leaving the ECU pin open and vulnerable, this does introduce considerable risk...

Good write up though :-)

Old 06-06-2008, 09:49 AM

rtrackr99,

Yes, that was my writeup, but I don't understand how I would be contradicting or "cutting down" what I wrote?? Please elaborate...

Old 06-06-2008, 05:33 PM

Well...um Afeudale,
I guess you corrected yourself with,
"On closer inspection of your original photos, I misinterpreted them and thought you were driving the relay from the ECU output."

I wasinitially confused by your reply about shorting the ECU,
because I thought you had the best solution posted in February 2008, with Option 3,using aMOSFET circuit spliced intoa 9006 patch cable.

So at first, you seemed critical of your own solution for the DRL/HID issue. But I guess we were not talking about apples & apples.
I had respected the expertise in your posted solution, so I was surprised by what appeared to be a 180 degree turn.

Hope I haven't been too confusing?
E

Old 06-06-2008, 05:53 PM

rtrackr99, I still don't get it? How would I have contradicted myself?

In my post there was no mention of removing the stock MOSFET - the circuit used an additional MOSFET which prevented the flickering...

Old 06-06-2008, 06:07 PM

I pasted the link toyour original post from another forum on February 2008.

You replied to me with the message below. ("in reply to rtrackr99")
https://mitsubishiforum.com/fb.asp?m=225673
This all seems critical of the information from your own posted DRL/HID issue.

I was trying to give you credit, but you seem to be on the defensive.
Did mean anthing but positive, so anyway...
I'm just confused.

I'm done... [&:]
E

Old 06-07-2008, 12:21 AM

I'm confused too...lol...but post your questions here and I can try to answer them...

Old 06-07-2008, 07:57 AM

.....for jimmy.

could you post up one more picture of the top of the switching relay showing the labeling of the terminals ?

also. what specific relay did you buy ?

i am going to do the mod. this week-end and i am going to do it EXACTLY the way you did.

thanks , larry d.

Quick Reply: 2007 DRL - Daytime Running Lights Disabled!