Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

2010 Outlander

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2010, 09:52 AM
Default Engine stopped

I have a 2010 Outlander XLS with less than 300KM on it. Stoped at a red light and when it turned green I proceeded to press the gas and the vehicle started rolling backwards and I almost got rear ended.
Looked at the dash and everything was off including the engine. Placed the car in park and started the engine again with no further issues.

Has anyone experianced this? Basically the car went off as if I parked in the driveway and turned the engine off, no idiot lights on, no engine light nothing. Just as if it was parked!

Old 02-08-2010, 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by rga650
I have a 2010 Outlander XLS with less than 300KM on it. Stoped at a red light and when it turned green I proceeded to press the gas and the vehicle started rolling backwards and I almost got rear ended.
Looked at the dash and everything was off including the engine. Placed the car in park and started the engine again with no further issues.

Has anyone experianced this? Basically the car went off as if I parked in the driveway and turned the engine off, no idiot lights on, no engine light nothing. Just as if it was parked!
Yes. See this thread:
https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=34987
Its hard to reproduce...so the dealer will not believe you/tell you everything is fine. I would print out that thread as evidence...
Sounds like a new 2010 issue where the idle neutral logic lets the revs get low enough to stall it once it re-engages.

Old 02-15-2010, 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by Dr. Zoidberg
Bingo.
Hi, Dr. Zoidberg, I too am wondering what that thing is besides the front dome light. You agreed with pilcan that it is the microphone for the handsfree bluetooth device but MadMike1953 suggests that it may be related to the alarm system. Hmmmm...

I picked up my 2010 Outlander LS-4WD in late Dec 2009 and so far am happy with it. Haven't been able to try out the 4WD functionality as yet cuz we haven't had any serious snow in our area yet. I live in Durham Region,Ontario, Canada.

I did not go for Mitsubishi's handsfree bluetooth but instead bought a Parrot CK3200 handsfree device. Here is a link to Parrot's site: http://www.parrot.com/usa/products/b...-free-car-kits.

This device works satisfactory except that I would like to know if I can incorporate the CK3200's microphone into the Outlander's microphone thingy, if that's at all possible. Too bad I didn't think about that when I had the CK3200 installed.

Old 02-16-2010, 03:33 PM

Hi there!
My gf and I are looking for a new CUV as our Tribute is now probably a write-off. My gf loved her Tribute, but showing her the fully loaded Outlander, I think she has a new favorite with all the gadgets that comes with it.

One thing I am disappointed in, now that I am reading through this forum for the first time, is that there isn't a USB connector like our American brothers and sisters have! Not really a big deal, but a little disappointing. Furthermore, I have read that "...A company representative said that the onboard drive will only allow rights-protected files to be transferred over in analog form--a definite drawback...". Am I to assume you can only transfer files over from the the Audio Jack and not by a mp3 CD? That statement by itself is a little confusing...

Thank you in advance!

Old 02-16-2010, 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by jpk36
I just found out from multiple dealers here in the US, that although Mitsubishi’s website lets you build a 2010 Outlander GT in blue, white or brown with Beige interior, Japan does not make them. Nationwide, there are only GTs with black interior. And the XLS does not come with a sunroof, so if you want a 6 cyl. with sunroof now, you’re stuck with a black interior. Unless of course, they make them later in the year like they did the 2007 Red Outlanders.

My lease is up in October (July if I wanted another mitsu) but I may have to consider some other manufacturer. A beige interior is available for lesser models, but not the top of the line? Does that make sense? You would think top of the line means a pick of all the available options. I mean, it’s not like they are custom making a new interior, just installing one that is currently available on the XLS or SE. What could the costs be? They could even charge a premium for the color like a few other manufacturers do, but no. Wow, I think Mitsubishi has really outdone themselves this year to screw this up.
I'll be looking to replace my wife's car in May, and was seriously considering the GT, with the nav/leather option, but won't even consider it with BLACK interior. The XLS doesn't have the S-AWC, so I too may have to look at another manufacturer. I haven't contacted any dealers yet, so I may be able to order a Cosmic Blue with beige interior for a May delivery. You would think if black was the only color interior available, someone at MMA would update their web site to reflect this! If I have any luck, I'll post my results.

Old 02-20-2010, 01:11 PM

Hey guys, I'm new here and new to Mitsubishi in general (I've never owned one).
My wife and I are looking at buying a new SUV/CUV and we have 3 choices that we like (on paper). Canadian models since I'm located near Montreal, Quebec.

Hyundai Santa Fe Limited
Mitsubishi Outlander XLS
Subaru Forester XT Limited

They're all in the same price range (~$35k) and generally have the same features.
We test drove the Santa Fe last night. It was nice.
We're planning to test drive the Mitsubishi and Subaru early this coming week.

I have a question for those of you who own a 2010 XLS (or GT in the states) regarding the S-AWC system.

I found this in part of a review online:
"Tarmac (FWD on dry pavement), Snow (4WD with a slight front-wheel bias on wet/snowy roads) and Lock (4WD with a locked rear differential and a slight rear-wheel bias for driving in the worst conditions)."

From other reviews, my understanding is the rear diff does not lock...Could someone please confirm this, and/or how the system works.

The Lock mode...Does it unlock, and at what speed does it unlock? I'm assuming it unlocks like most other vehicles.

Thanks in advance.

P.S. I love the new nose!
At heart, I'd rather buy an Evo, but it wouldn't do much good with my 8 month old girl and her "stuff" I foresee us dragging around in our future...lol

Last edited by E^vol; 02-20-2010 at 01:21 PM.
Old 02-20-2010, 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by arelle20
Hi, Dr. Zoidberg, I too am wondering what that thing is besides the front dome light. You agreed with pilcan that it is the microphone for the handsfree bluetooth device but MadMike1953 suggests that it may be related to the alarm system. Hmmmm...
For 2007-2009 Outties that is where the blutooth mic is. I assumed 2010 would have the mic in the same position.

Can't help you re: the Parrot but I doubt you could sync it with the mic and speaker system easily. For the cost of getting someone to wire it up you might as well have bought the mitsu bluetooth.

Old 02-20-2010, 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by JBear
Hi there!
there isn't a USB connector like our American brothers and sisters have! Not really a big deal, but a little disappointing. Furthermore, I have read that "...A company representative said that the onboard drive will only allow rights-protected files to be transferred over in analog form--a definite drawback...". Am I to assume you can only transfer files over from the the Audio Jack and not by a mp3 CD? That statement by itself is a little confusing...

Thank you in advance!
You can get a cable with a usb on one end and RCA jacks on the other. Wal-Mart and most other retailers sell such a cord. Get one at least 3' feet long in order to reach the front console. There is a gap at the end of the console top for cords to thread through to the RCA plugs and a divet in the front to accomodate such cords with the lid closed. The RCA jacks plug into the rear of the arm console. Connect your iPOD/mp3 player to the usb end, press and hold the CD or aux button to access your music and you're good to go.

The player plays mp3s off my cds fine but I have a 2009 model - don't know if they changed it for 2010 but I doubt it. Here's a tip though - the non Nav instrument display will not show the complete file names for really long file names - i.e. you can't page/scroll through a mp3 file name like you would for a song from a RDS enabled radio station.

Old 02-20-2010, 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by E^vol
Hey guys, I'm new here and new to Mitsubishi in general (I've never owned one).

I found this in part of a review online:
"Tarmac (FWD on dry pavement), Snow (4WD with a slight front-wheel bias on wet/snowy roads) and Lock (4WD with a locked rear differential and a slight rear-wheel bias for driving in the worst conditions)."

From other reviews, my understanding is the rear diff does not lock...Could someone please confirm this, and/or how the system works.

The Lock mode...Does it unlock, and at what speed does it unlock? I'm assuming it unlocks like most other vehicles.

Thanks in advance.

P.S. I love the new nose!
At heart, I'd rather buy an Evo, but it wouldn't do much good with my 8 month old girl and her "stuff" I foresee us dragging around in our future...lol
I have never seen anything about the rear diff locking. You don't typically get locked diffs with anything less than a truck or jeep, and even then those are options on an 'off-road' package on those vehicles. I believe the rear diff is an open type which I do not think can be locked.

My assumption is that 'lock' is similar to the system pre-2010 - it transfers UPTO 50% more torque to the rear axle when COMPARED to the Snow setting (the old '4wd auto' setting). Your local dealer probably won't know this information or the information you are seeking either. 99% of Mitsu sales people and car reviewers thought that the 2007-2009 '4wd lock' meant a 50:50 lock between the front and axles when this was/is not the case. So take the source of where you got the information into consideration. Good luck getting a response from Mitsu Canada - I sent an email to them and still haven't had a reply in over a year. But I doubt 'lock' actually locks the rear diff - it just seems counter to the mechanics of how an open diff works. To be transparent I'm not a mechanic or engineer but have been reading up on differentials to research the benefits of having a limited slip installed on my 2009 outtie.

You can always get a roof top carrier on the Evo for all the stuff. But honestly, the Outtie has worked wonders for my little girl too. Deepest and best cargo area on the market IMO. All of the other cargo floors are almost to your chest they are so high!

Old 02-20-2010, 10:13 PM

Thanks for the replies. I figured that info was incorrect. I read it here: http://www.auto123.com/en/mitsubishi...5&artid=115173

Does anyone know if and at what speed the Lock mode unlocks ?

Also, has anyone ever changed the color of the console lights? Is it possible?
From what I have seen so far, the lights are all red. I really don't like an all red interior (lighting wise). I hate the Mazda3 because of it. It feels over powering...

The Forester and Outlander both have red console lighting, while the Santa Fe has a nice blue color scheme.

Quick Reply: 2010 Outlander