Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

2011 Outlander fuel cap won't open

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2015, 10:48 PM
Default 2011 Outlander fuel cap won't open

hello all. This is my first Mitsubishi and I purchased it used. Everything was seemingly fine today until I went to get gas(there was barely a half tank when I got it from the dealership). I opened the floor latch, went and open the fuel door and imemdiately noticed that the connecting wire between the cap and the fuel cap(The thing you twist) is broken. I was livid but decided to just call the dealership tomorrow and tell them about it. I then went to open the fuel cap to put in gas, but it wouldn't turn. I thought perhaps I had to squeeze and turn, but still nothing. It turns left and right, but barely.

Is there something unique about Mitsubishi fuel caps that I'm not aware of. The dealership told me that they'd order a manual for me since it was missing; and so I can't refer to the manual. Someone help me out please.

Old 11-11-2015, 08:14 AM

What year?

On mine you just turn it left I believe... It can get pretty tight sometimes but it should come off... There's nothing to squeeze or push to get it off though slight inward pressure might help loosen it..

Old 11-11-2015, 11:56 AM

It's a 2011. And I tried everything but it won't open.

Old 11-11-2015, 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by rororo
It's a 2011. And I tried everything but it won't open.
That cap can be difficult to remove when over-tightened, especially in hot weather.

What happens when you try to rotate the cap counter-clockwise? That is, does the cap just spin freely, but the cap does not come off, or does the cap only turn a little and then stop?

If the cap turns only a little and stops, put on a pair of leather gloves and turn harder with both hands. If necessary, get a weightlifter to turn it. It will eventually turn and the cap can be removed.

Old 11-11-2015, 01:48 PM

Well it finally opened after using some excessive force. I think it may have just been over tightened before. I have another question though, the red LCD display in-between the speedometer is very confusing.

A) What does the arrow towards the fuel tank indicate. Mine shows a 300 number that quickly dwindles to 270 after refill. Is that estimated range left.

B) And similarly. When the gas tank goes very low and starts flashing yellow with an empty fuel tank gauge. DOes that mean I literally have no gas left, or is there a reserve amount?

Thanks again.

Old 11-11-2015, 04:37 PM

A) You'll find the arrow on nearly all vehicles. it describes what side of the vehicle you fill the tank up.
B) Generally, do not let the tank get that low. your fuel pump is located inside the gas tank, and is lubricated by gasoline. If you contstantly fun it low/nearly empty, you will be starving the pump of lubrication. Aside from that, I'm assuming as well that the number you are asking about is the miles until "empty". Most cars will report empty when in fact you have another 2 gallon. I think we have something like 16gal tanks...my normal fill up is 12 gallons.

Old 11-11-2015, 05:14 PM

Yeah it's a 30L tank that I have here. Thank you very much for the answers, I really appreciate it.

Old 11-11-2015, 06:30 PM

If it's an Outlander (not sport) The fuel tank capacity would be 60 or 63 Liters depending if it's 4WD or not... I've never heard of a 30L tank....

I've ran my 2010 Outie down to the flashing gas icon and I pretty much always have about 10L left in the tank when I fill up, so it's not completely empty when that happens.

If you press the info button to the left of the steering wheel it should cycle through the various screens and give you more info about them. It sounds like range left as usually the tank reads over-full at fill up and then quickly drops to full.

The manual details all the functions quite well so I would recommend reading it once you get it.

If you want to get a jump on it, here is a link to download the owners manual in PDF format... https://carmanuals2.com/d/36832

Old 11-12-2015, 08:25 AM

30L is equal to 8 gallons, no car except for maybe a plug in hybrid has that small of a tank.

There is a 1-2 gallon reserve after the yellow low fuel indicator flashes. You can probably go at least 40 miles or 60km after that.