Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

2016 Outlander MMCS to SDA Head Unit Swap

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2019, 05:23 PM

Hi Steve,
I assume those settings relate to the PHEV. I have a diesel.
Assuming you do a PHEV, you probably need to change the vehicle type via the secret squirrel settings screen.
To access the hidden menus:
1. power up the head unit,
2. turn the screen off using the Screen Off icon,
3. touch the top left corner of the screen for about 5 seconds,
4. touch the bottom right corner of the screen for about 5 seconds until there is a beep.
5. stop touching the screen and the hidden menu should appear.
One of the menu options relates to vehicle type.
I can't say I know what each one is, but you will need to select a PHEV version.
Save the selection and the head unit will reboot.
You will have lost your Bluetooth pairing and phone book and will have to redo those, but hopefully you will be able to see your heater options.
My suggestion is a SWAG.

Cheers,
Bob.

Old 07-13-2019, 05:59 AM

Hi Doctorbob I’m looking at the cables I have in my outlander and am struggling to see a 28 pin connector to move the pins over to c223.

working from memory I’d assumed the module 8750A565 was the HFM but this has a green 14 pin connector. I’ll try and take some photos of the connectors.

steve

Old 07-13-2019, 06:36 AM

Old 07-13-2019, 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by Foxtrotoscar
Hi Doctorbob I’m looking at the cables I have in my outlander and am struggling to see a 28 pin connector to move the pins over to c223.

working from memory I’d assumed the module 8750A565 was the HFM but this has a green 14 pin connector. I’ll try and take some photos of the connectors.

steve
Hi Steve,

The module you refer to (8750A565) is the navigation module.
The HFM module is a separate module which is not mounted on the MMCS.
It is mounted separately underneath the MMCS.
It has a green sticker on top and part number 8785A076.
t has 2 cables attached to it - the 28 pin and a 4 pin that looks like a USB-A internally.
The 4 pin one is the USB from the plug in the armrest bin.
I'm planning to connect that cable to one of the SDA USB cables so that the USB connector in the armrest bin is usable again.

Cheers, Bob.

Old 11-10-2019, 04:28 AM

only just had a chance to look at this, not sure what happened but the radio 15a fuse blew when attempting to connect the mic. so I’m back to the drawing board.

Old 11-11-2019, 05:06 PM

Well mine's all working perfectly.
I've connected one USB cable to the connector in the centre armrest bin and the other to a a USB socket I fitted in the tray in front of the gear selector.

Old 11-30-2019, 11:35 PM

Hey guys read this thread and have given it a crack.

So far i have got the error message about the microphone removed.

I have connected the 4 mic wires and am getting 8Volts from the mic wires to ground and 0.15V on the mic shield but still cant get the mic working.

Any tips would be great.

Last edited by kirbieb; 11-30-2019 at 11:44 PM.
Old 01-30-2020, 09:28 AM
Default MMCS to SDA upgrade (Outlander 2016)

Originally Posted by callmesnake
If the SDA unit doesn't work out, I probably will go aftermarket. At this point I want to do it for the challenge. There is just so little info out there it's a struggle. Good point about the cables. The old style Mitsu ones look like they are available on Ali-Express. this new 2x2 style though don't seem to be out in the wild. I believe that Kenwood makes this radio, so they may be a source for the cables... There is for sure no part number on any of the publications I've looked at though. Ultimately, if they radio works, my plan is to make a jumper cable form the radio to the existing Mitsu USB that plugged into the old radio so I can use the factory connection and placement. Soldering a USB onto the board is a fantastic idea. That's a long way off though... I have to figure out if I can even get the radio close to working. I recently learned that I have the Display audio radio, not the MMCS. My radio looks like MMCS but doesn't have the 3 middle buttons for nav. There are no pinouts available online at all for that radio, so it's all quite a mystery. I did learn that there is an installation kit to go from my radio to the MMCS one though, and MMCS has all the same wires as the SDA, so I may have to follow that path... So many things to look at when the radio finally arrives. And it's my wife's car so I can't have it disassembled for long periods of time... It also doesn't hurt I got a screaming deal on the SDA unit. Junkyard really mispriced it so if it doesn't work I'll end up making a profit on ebay reselling it.

Hi,

I have managed to get hold of a Outlander SDA 2018 model stero with Apple car play. i would like to replace the exiting MMCS 2016 version in my car, retaining the 360 camera's etc. Is there anything i need to buy in order to help with this? heard you need to get a new usb cable?

thanks for any assistance.

Darren

Old 01-30-2020, 06:03 PM

I did the work to a 2014 but some new USB cables and if you need to mic to work the heater cable.

i will see if i can find the part number, although i still havent got the microphone working.

Old 02-29-2020, 08:38 AM

Hi, Thanks for your notes. With regard to the MICROPHONE : I got it working but I wondered if the unit you have is different from mine.
Mine is the 2016 Smartphone Link Audio Display Unit (MXL015ELG4) - which I got from a breakers yard with no cables at all. The old connectors were plug and play and worked fine except no mic, and no usb (so no CarPlay) .... so then it was the DIY to make it work....
I found the HFM (the unit with a green label below the MMCS) pins used for the microphone were 14 & 28 Mic Signal, and 27 Mic Shield (3 of the 4 required, the 4th is a ground which you use pin 57 on the 16pin connector of the SDA)
On the SDA it was the 16pin connector, which is numbered 51-66. So here 57 SNSE (Mic detect) - is Mic Gnd - which can attach to a headunit case screw or other ground. HFM pin 27-> 56 is Mic Shield, and 63, 64 are Mic Signal. Important to note polarity of signal is important ie 28 -> 63, 14-> 64. If you connect the other way round it simply does not work.
Other NOTE .... you can wire directly for the USBs, far cheaper than buying the elusive Mitsubishi cable cable (8755A296- £140 from a main UK dealer, and 3 week wait). It is a four pin connector same as you find inside a computer PC for USB. You can therefore get a USB extension cable then remove the computer end of it and rewire with connectors straight onto the pins. It works a treat. Looking at the 4 pin usb socket on the sda... it goes top left 5V (Red), top right Gnd (Black), Bottom left White, Bottom right Green.
The DAB/DAB+ appeared to work but kept saying NO DATA and dropping sound. I think it was interference so moved the DAB (FAKRA) cable away from the other cables and wrapped the other cables in electrical insulation tape and that seems to work fine too.
The ONLY THING NOT WORKING is the TIMED AIR CONDITIONING & TIMED CHARGING on the SDA. It says "No item found" (or something like that) and no option to make any settings. The remote app still connects and appears to make the settings but the SDA doesn't. All the other PHEV information such as energy monitor etc all works fine - plug and play. Does anyone have any ideas with this ?

Quick Reply: 2016 Outlander MMCS to SDA Head Unit Swap