Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

2wd mode not so great!

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2008, 03:54 PM
Default RE: 2wd mode not so great!

ORIGINAL: Kwanger

Herewhere I live in Florida, its obviously very hot in summer, and as stated I drive everywhere on Lock, long runs, high speed runs, quick driving around the backroads, light offroading - never seen that light yet.
Nice... I think it will take some heavy abuse to have it overheat.

Old 04-02-2008, 05:33 AM

Since there's been a lot of talk about the mileage differences between 2wd and 4wd I did a test last night for myself on 2wd vs 4wd-Auto mode. I have a 60 mile round trip drive on the highway to pick up my kids so i figured let's see how the 4wd setting does. The comparison is based on nearly identical situtations and conditions except for brands of fuel and traffic volume. I traveled the same route and distance on a full tank of 87 octane fuel with cruise set at same speed of 77mph; there was a negligible weight differential ofabout 15 lbs (stroller in back).

Now I usually drive in 2wd on the highway and have done the trip several times after filling the tank and get 21.5 - 23.6 @ 67pmh avg. (The range is based on each legs average.) I had just filled the tank and hopped on the highway in 4wd-Auto and i averaged 20.1 - 21.5 @ 64mph.The speed averages include about 12 miles of city driving to get to the school.

So itseemed to showabout a 1.4 to 2.1mpg difference. Of course these figures can be skewed depending on your driving style or how many times you make hard passes/lane changes. I did hit some traffic on the drive home so myavg speed was slightly lower. So in my estimation the fuel consumption in 4wd-Auto is noticeable, but very minimal.

One thing i did note was that the Outtie shifted differently in 4wd-Auto mode. It downshifted quickerwhen going up the mountain hills and seemed to hold the gear longer than when in 2wd mode. When in 2wd the tranny seems to upshift too soon and then has to downshift to compensate. This was noticed using cruise control and not my lead foot, so this could also be a factor forthe difference in mileage estimates.

Take if for what it's worth.

Old 04-02-2008, 08:10 AM

My city driving mileage varies day to day using the same mode by more than what you have noticed, it really depends on traffic, lights, accelaration,.. but I think that you have proven that if there is a difference it's less than 5%.

Old 04-02-2008, 08:53 AM

ORIGINAL: klas

think about it guys, what's the point of putting a **** that allows switching to 2wd mode if it didn't offer any benefits? Those benefits seem to be better gas mileage and faster acceleration, at least I noticed that it did offer faster acceleration, I haven't done any tests as far as gas mileage.
To be perfectly honest, I think the main purpose of it is as a marketing gimmick. It can then be touted as giving this high level of choice and control to the user. To the people who are not entusiasts like those of us on this forum, they will simply blindly accept the adage "2WD for economy, 4WD Auto as a balance, and 4WD Lock when off-roadin' or in snow".

They won't cross analyse it, dig up Mitsu documents, test things out, etc - they'll merely accept it. So for the majority, it serves that marketing purpose.

In a similar vein, I'm inclined to think the paddle shifters are similar. While it can be fun to use them on occasion, in all honesty, within a few minutes I soon get tired of them and go back to auto. But I still like them being there - why? Because people like options, and the car manufacturers know this.

Old 04-02-2008, 09:17 AM

Kwanger i agree that the paddles were a big draw at first, but now i find myself hardly using them. At first I was going to just get the LSmodel but after test driving and XLS i liked the idea of the paddles. Now i'm mostly glad i have the MMCS, Nav, heated seats and 3rd row seats and the paddles hardly get any use.

The paddlesdo work well, but also affect mileage...mostly because i end up taking the tach to its limits .

Old 04-02-2008, 09:19 AM

ORIGINAL: Kwanger

ORIGINAL: klas

think about it guys, what's the point of putting a **** that allows switching to 2wd mode if it didn't offer any benefits? Those benefits seem to be better gas mileage and faster acceleration, at least I noticed that it did offer faster acceleration, I haven't done any tests as far as gas mileage.
To be perfectly honest, I think the main purpose of it is as a marketing gimmick. It can then be touted as giving this high level of choice and control to the user. To the people who are not entusiasts like those of us on this forum, they will simply blindly accept the adage "2WD for economy, 4WD Auto as a balance, and 4WD Lock when off-roadin' or in snow".

They won't cross analyse it, dig up Mitsu documents, test things out, etc - they'll merely accept it. So for the majority, it serves that marketing purpose.

In a similar vein, I'm inclined to think the paddle shifters are similar. While it can be fun to use them on occasion, in all honesty, within a few minutes I soon get tired of them and go back to auto. But I still like them being there - why? Because people like options, and the car manufacturers know this.
LOL, I agree about the paddles, just about the only thing they are useful for are for looking cool. Thats why I got the LS, cheaper and stil 4WD, thats all I need. If I want to be able to shift gears my self I can still do so, not in such a high fashion but I can, none the less. Now if it was a true GSD/SST transmission and I planed to do some racing/fast cornering then they would be verry practical, but on an SUV....uhmmm ...no. Same thing for the 4WD dial, all thesemyths about faster acceleration in 2WDand better fuel economy is BS. Yes the 2WD version's do get better economy and slightly better accelerationbecause they have less drivetrain components to spin, but the AWD outties, even in 2WD have to spin these components all the time no matter what setting, the only advantage you get with the dial is if you want 100% of tq to be sent to the front wheels for some reason, other than that theres no actual benefit to using 2WD ( in my opinion).

Old 04-02-2008, 09:27 AM

I agree that it is most likely Marketing, giving buyer the perception that they have a mode that allows them to be more fuel efficient is a good selling feature, even if this mode has worst fuel efficiency than another vehicle that is all-time 4WD like the RAV4.

Old 04-02-2008, 11:15 AM

Well, I'll be the first to disagree about the paddle shifters, as I use it most of the time, especially when passing other vehicles. I can't stand revving the engine just to get to a lower gear. Also, waiting for the computer to decide to shift gear is too slow for my taste, I want to be in control when I need the boost. And I'm glad I have it, so I think it's money well spent fo me. It wouldnt hurt if it was an option rather than standard, even then I'll get it anyway. As for 2WD, it works well in cruise mode. It's all about options, having the option to change 2WD to 4WD is a welcome option for me. Because each driver's taste differs, I guess to each his own. What works for others might not work for some. And the Outlander has the options to cater to the way everyone like to drive it. Be it 2WD, 4WD, foot on gas or manually via paddle/stick. Whatever floats your boat.

Old 04-02-2008, 12:07 PM

I have to disagree about paddle shiffters too, but againeveryonehas different preferences.I use them every day to downshift when going down hill. I prefer doing that instead of constant breaking.

Old 04-03-2008, 01:22 PM

LOL, I agree about the paddles, just about the only thing they are useful for are for looking cool. Thats why I got the LS, cheaper and stil 4WD, thats all I need. If I want to be able to shift gears my self I can still do so, not in such a high fashion but I can, none the less. Now if it was a true GSD/SST transmission and I planed to do some racing/fast cornering then they would be verry practical, but on an SUV....uhmmm ...no. Same thing for the 4WD dial, all thesemyths about faster acceleration in 2WDand better fuel economy is BS. Yes the 2WD version's do get better economy and slightly better accelerationbecause they have less drivetrain components to spin, but the AWD outties, even in 2WD have to spin these components all the time no matter what setting, the only advantage you get with the dial is if you want 100% of tq to be sent to the front wheels for some reason, other than that theres no actual benefit to using 2WD ( in my opinion).
Absolutely, I agree, if it was a proper sequential box I think I'd use it. Similarly, if the 4WD Lock was actually a real diff-lock, then I'd not be driving around in it all the time; but it'd be a great offroading and poor road conditions feature.

But as has been said here, it is nice that there is some choice with the vehicle, can't argue with that. Just think, if there wasn't, this whole thread and many others would have no cause to exist!! At least it gives us something to talk about!!