Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

6 Years Later

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2018, 10:43 AM
Default 6 Years Later

It's been six years since we purchased our Outlander Sport and I am sizing up what we have spent as far as scheduled maintenance and unscheduled work that has been done.
After 86,979 miles,we've always had our oil changes done at the dealership,a first for me normally I elected to do them myself but periodically we get coupons from Mitsubishi which doing it myself didn't save much using full synthetic oil.I change my own air filters and have paid close attention to the cvt transmission by doing three drain and fills.Have not done anything with the brakes yet but undoubtedly will need attention at some point,but they seem to be great yet.Our largest non maintenance expense was a rear shock/strut that was leaking which caused a real problem of how it handled.On our second set of tires Michelin and I am disappointed as to how they are wearing.All in all I have to say that my only complaint is the road noise this model has which I attribute to the CVT transmission.The 4 wheel drive is working as new and is helpful in winter months.
General Maintenance: oil,wiper blades,filters,battery,tires,transmission fluid=$1825
Unplanned Repair= $425
There have been recalls that we have kept up on and our dealership has performed,wiper motor,lift gate struts etc,
Although the car isn't what I would say a real comfortable vehicle I must say that it has proved to be reliable.My wife likes it and she does most of the driving so I suppose we'll be driving it into the next 100K if possible.I would appreciate any response to this post concerning those of you who have higher milage experience with this vehicle.

Old 08-11-2018, 08:53 PM

Also...at that mileage I hope you have serviced the AWC System ..transfer case and differential. Depending on your driving habits..you should do a brake service...clean and adjust caliper sliders and inspect pads and rotors at least every 30,000.it helps extend brake part life.

As far as tires go...rotation is the key to tire life..as well as correct tire pressure checks regularly. If the tires are not wearing well you might want to have the alignment checked...just being out a little will greatly increase tire wear.

You are also approaching the interval for spark plugs (100,000) ..and maybe keep an eye on the accessory drive belt..I usually do it at the same time..just because...these cars are pretty easy to maintain..and cheap transportation for me...If I wanted a Luxury car I would not look at Mitsubishi...so my Lancer does the job for a daily commuter car. Best of Luck..!

Old 08-25-2018, 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by Hodado
It's been six years since we purchased our Outlander Sport and I am sizing up what we have spent as far as scheduled maintenance and unscheduled work that has been done.
After 86,979 miles,we've always had our oil changes done at the dealership,a first for me normally I elected to do them myself but periodically we get coupons from Mitsubishi which doing it myself didn't save much using full synthetic oil.I change my own air filters and have paid close attention to the cvt transmission by doing three drain and fills.Have not done anything with the brakes yet but undoubtedly will need attention at some point,but they seem to be great yet.Our largest non maintenance expense was a rear shock/strut that was leaking which caused a real problem of how it handled.On our second set of tires Michelin and I am disappointed as to how they are wearing.All in all I have to say that my only complaint is the road noise this model has which I attribute to the CVT transmission.The 4 wheel drive is working as new and is helpful in winter months.
General Maintenance: oil,wiper blades,filters,battery,tires,transmission fluid=$1825
Unplanned Repair= $425
There have been recalls that we have kept up on and our dealership has performed,wiper motor,lift gate struts etc,
Although the car isn't what I would say a real comfortable vehicle I must say that it has proved to be reliable.My wife likes it and she does most of the driving so I suppose we'll be driving it into the next 100K if possible.I would appreciate any response to this post concerning those of you who have higher milage experience with this vehicle.
Plus one on changing gear oil