Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Awful MPG after plenty of maintenance, ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2018, 10:04 AM
Unhappy Awful MPG after plenty of maintenance, ideas?

Hey guys! Just a quickie in case anyone can help.

I'm averaging 30mpg in my 2012 Mitsubishi Outlander GX4 SST 2.2 diesel automatic. Even on a long 250 mile motorway trip (70mph) I averaged just 30mpg.

I'm about to go on a 4000 mile drive across Europe, so some more mpgs would be nice! The combined book value is 39.2mpg, should easily get 40 on a motorway I'd think.

Done so far: Gearbox serviced w/ oil change, new clutch, new flywheel, brakes serviced and greased, new oil, all filters, DPF forced regen, new glowplugs, new battery, EGR removed and scrubbed, new thermostat and coolant. No error codes present.

Don't think I can do much more than I have... any thoughts?!

Old 12-23-2018, 02:06 AM

Originally Posted by chrisoverson
Hey guys! Just a quickie in case anyone can help.

I'm averaging 30mpg in my 2012 Mitsubishi Outlander GX4 SST 2.2 diesel automatic. Even on a long 250 mile motorway trip (70mph) I averaged just 30mpg.

I'm about to go on a 4000 mile drive across Europe, so some more mpgs would be nice! The combined book value is 39.2mpg, should easily get 40 on a motorway I'd think.

Done so far: Gearbox serviced w/ oil change, new clutch, new flywheel, brakes serviced and greased, new oil, all filters, DPF forced regen, new glowplugs, new battery, EGR removed and scrubbed, new thermostat and coolant. No error codes present.

Don't think I can do much more than I have... any thoughts?!

Hi there, I have a 2010 Outlander Juro SST. With the same 2.2 hdi engine as yours. I have kept track of my MPG for the last 2 years and it also averages 30mpg during the winter months. It improves a bit in the summer (approx 34 mpg). I replaced the IAT sensor last winter which improved the cold starts and winter mpg slightly. It may be worth checking as it’s a cheap and easy fix.

Old 12-23-2018, 03:12 AM

Originally Posted by 666benn

Hi there, I have a 2010 Outlander Juro SST. With the same 2.2 hdi engine as yours. I have kept track of my MPG for the last 2 years and it also averages 30mpg during the winter months. It improves a bit in the summer (approx 34 mpg). I replaced the IAT sensor last winter which improved the cold starts and winter mpg slightly. It may be worth checking as it’s a cheap and easy fix.
Hey, thanks for that. I've noticed that the coolant doesn't really get hot even with a new stat, only gets to about 80. I'm guessing though by the IAT you mean the inlet air temperature? Is that the sensor that's easily accessible just after the airbox? Thanks!

Old 12-23-2018, 03:24 AM

The sensor just after the air box is the maf sensor. The Intake Air Sensor is at the front of the engine bay just above the 3rd glow plug on the left side. My old sensor was covered in oil / burnt on crap. It caused the engine management light to come on with my car though. While replacing the sensor I also took the opportunity to clean out the intake pipe and the map sensor which is in the same housing as the iat sensor. Hope this makes sense!

Old 12-23-2018, 03:28 AM

Originally Posted by 666benn
The sensor just after the air box is the maf sensor. The Intake Air Sensor is at the front of the engine bay just above the 3rd glow plug on the left side. My old sensor was covered in oil / burnt on crap. It caused the engine management light to come on with my car though. While replacing the sensor I also took the opportunity to clean out the intake pipe and the map sensor which is in the same housing as the iat sensor. Hope this makes sense!
Thanks again. Is it a big job then? I've recently had the glowplugs changed and the garage said it took 2.5 hours . Hoping that it's not quite as hard to get to? I'll have a looksie this morning see if I can see what you mean.

Old 12-23-2018, 03:34 AM

It took me about 15 mins to replace and it only cost about £12 to buy the actual sensor from Euro car parts. I replaced the glow plugs last year as well. I can’t remember it taking that long though. The 3rd one along was a bit fiddly to access though as it’s behind the the pipe / housing of the iat and map sensors.

Old 12-23-2018, 03:51 AM

With regards to your coolant, I’m not sure of the exact temperature of mine but the digital gauge on the dash sits just below half way when the engine is warmed up. If you’re engine isn’t warming up properly then this could lead to the poor mpg. Was it a genuine Mitsubishi thermostat that was used? It’s not uncommon for some aftermarket parts not to function correctly. I had a similar issue with a thermostat on an old Skoda Fabia. Once I replaced it with a genuine Skoda part the engine warmed up perfectly. Also, does your cooling fan come on and cut out as it’s supposed to?