Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Battery drains

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2009, 07:15 AM
Default Battery drains

Hi Guys

I ve imported XLS V6 08 Outlander to Europe. I have not had much fun with so far.
Car has only driven 106miles yet. Car was not used for 7 months while waiting in Hamburg for processing, so I ve replaced battery to be sure it would start properly. Yesterday I drove it first time with completely new battery. It started no problem. I fiddled with air con a little, listened to the radio with the lights on and after 20 minutes drive Check engine light came up, than ABS warning light and all kinds of hazard lights. So I stopped and turned it off. Then I tried to turn it on but it did not start. I only here rattling from starter motor. So I took it back home on truck. I recharged the battery and ride for a bit but the battery quickly drains and will not restart until the battery is fully charged again? Any help appreciated

thanks
br
Peter

Last edited by Demo86286; 07-09-2009 at 07:26 AM.
Old 07-09-2009, 09:20 AM

You need to take the vehicle to a repair shop, or a dealer, and have both the battery and your charging system checked. From what you described either your charging system in the vehicle is not working properly, or the battery is defective and unable to hold a charge.

Just because a battery can be charged and works fine in your vehicle for a while doesn't mean its ok. A defective plate in it can prevent it from properly holding a charge, so don't assume just because the battery is new, or can be charged that its ok. I've bought new batterys that were bad. Either way its important to have both the battery and your charging system checked to find out where the problem is.

Last edited by azjake; 07-09-2009 at 09:28 AM.
Old 07-09-2009, 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by azjake
You need to take the vehicle to a repair shop, or a dealer, and have both the battery and your charging system checked. From what you described either your charging system in the vehicle is not working properly, or the battery is defective and unable to hold a charge.

Just because a battery can be charged and works fine in your vehicle for a while doesn't mean its ok. A defective plate in it can prevent it from properly holding a charge, so don't assume just because the battery is new, or can be charged that its ok. I've bought new batterys that were bad. Either way its important to have both the battery and your charging system checked to find out where the problem is.
I ve bought 2 new batteries over the course of two weeks, both went busted after half an hour of usage, it means both time car must have run entirely on battery, so I quess it higly unlikely that it is a battery, more looks like charging system alternator maybe, suppose it is not a battery would U have an idea where to look? thanks

Old 07-09-2009, 11:39 AM

If its your charging system you want to have it checked out by a mechanic. The electrical systems on todays vehicles are very complex. The alternator is just one part of the system, and without the proper equipment it would be difficult to diagnose.

If it is the alternator I'm pretty sure it is driven by the serpentine belt so replacing the alternator would require knowledge, skill, and proper tools to get the belt retensioned properly as the belt drives other systems in your vehicle such as the A/C compressor, power steering pump, water pump, etc. I'm not saying a person couldn't do it on their own, but it does require a fair amount of automotive knowledge.

Old 07-09-2009, 01:21 PM

Why not pop in the OEM battery after being recharged. See if that solves the problem. Sometimes poor battery contacts can cause similar problems.

Old 07-09-2009, 01:40 PM

must be the voltage regulator on the car. but it is a brand new car

it is not the battery. try cleaning the terminal for a new car?

Old 07-09-2009, 02:51 PM

Send me your email. I'll send you the charging system troubleshooting guide for your outlander. I have the 07 service manual but should be identical or very similar to yours.