Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

A/C issues with 07 Outlander

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2007, 08:56 PM
Default RE: A/C issues with 07 Outlander

1. Air intake duct
2. Clean air filter cover
3. Clean air filter
4. Blower motor
5. Power transistor
6. Expansion valve cover
7. Expansion valve
8. O-ring
9. Aspirator
10. Heater pipe cover
11. Heater core
12. Upper case assembly
13. Evaporator
14. Air thermo sensor
15. Wiring harness
16. Blower case assembly
17. Blower case, upper
18. Blower case, lower
19. A/C-ECU
20. Air mix damper motor
21. Air outlet changeover damper motor
22. Outside/inside air selection damper motor
23. Air outlet changeover damper lever
24. Insulator
25. Lower case
26. Air mix damper
27. Air outlet changeover damper
28. Upper case

Well those are some of the AC parts. Some. I guess its more involved than I though. I though you were getting cold air one side and nothing out the other. I would go to the dealer now lol.

Old 07-25-2007, 10:26 AM

ORIGINAL: BoldlyGoingNowhere
Same amount of freezing cold on both sides in my LS. Somewhere I read that the evaporator is in the same housing as the heater core, see if you get the same heat from both sides. You can also use a button thermometer for food service to get actual vent temps and compare that way. You can use a string or ribbon to verify volume of air.
Thanks for this tip. I did check it just a while ago, and heat is even on all vents. That's for both the driver and passenger side. So from what it looks like, the Outlander has two different cooling "lines" for the L and R A/C vents? And somehow the R "cooling line" on my Outlander is busted/clogged? (pardon the layman terms as I'm not a tech guy). Well, this definitely looks like a warrantable case. Will update this thread after my service visit.

Old 07-25-2007, 10:55 AM

When you go to the dealer make sure you take some sort of thermometer with you, the infared is a good choice quick and farily accurate.
That way they cant act like your on drugs. Its an odd complaint and really doesn't make sense.

They would have to have used a diverter for both sides which would be used in vehicles that have temp controls for both sides, unless the other markets have one available I dont see why there would be one in the Outlander. I doubt theres 2 evaporators that would be costly and inefficent since there is no rear cooling like in my minivan. But the outie does have a unique set up on the cooling system. I wish I had a parts diagram for it.

Old 07-25-2007, 01:58 PM

I checked on mine and when the AC is on and cabin circulation is OFF, the driver's side seems a little cooler. Not a huge difference, so I don't know if it helps.

Old 07-25-2007, 03:19 PM

In my case, you can really tell the difference. In fact you don't need a thermometer. Very noticeable when making mid day trips when the heat is in full swing.

And also, do you guys notice a hissing sound everytime the A/C clutch engages? I thought this would be the refrigerant cycling. I hear this like every 20-30 seconds. Kinda weird because the cold air temp also fluctuates with it.

Old 07-25-2007, 03:22 PM

I have actually heard this hissing sound.

Old 07-25-2007, 06:13 PM

I dont beleive that the system should work the way its working.

Do you think its normall that the A/C vents turno on and off in cycles of 30 seconds ??

The compressor to work that way its normall but not the vents.

How come when the engine its cold and the car is in the sun very hot, you turn on the A/C and the engine vents dont get on till the engine is warm up. You dont have this cycle of turning on and off of the vents till engine is warm.

Once the engine is warm I dont think you can cool it down that fast with period times of 30 seconds. Why not like other cars turn it one for more time ??

Most of the vehicles turn on the high speed vents once the car is hot and the A/C is on.

I think they Mitsumess up with the programm and we should have a reflash soon.

Some also wrote that you can see with normal light at night every 30 seconds a voltage drop, its normal but not every 30 seconds.

Does anybody know someone of Mitsubishi to ask more about this A/Cstrange way to work.

Old 08-03-2007, 09:29 AM

Problem resolved. Just low refrigerant that's all. As usual, it's a warrantable case so got it fixed for free. I was afraid they had to take the dash apart to get to the heater box but it was just a refrigerant problem. Beware of the "hissing" sound, that might actually be a tell tale sign of low refrigerant volume. I didn't hear it after the refrigerant got filled. Though the A/C clutch cycling is still quite frequent, but the cooling is way better now.

Old 08-03-2007, 11:17 AM

Thats good to know. Have you run it at night to see if the lights and fan swing with the compressor cycle now that its fully charged?