Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Dead display for radio

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2013, 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by mprojekt
Do you know if it's possible to replace *just* the display? My Outie came with MMCS, so I don't know what the back side of the radio cd panel assembly looks like.

It'd be great if folks could pull the LED display module itself and swap it out with one that works. Or is that sucker a permanent part of the panel assembly?

I realize that this is probably a "nice idea" at best but it can't hurt to think along those lines.
the MMCS comes as one single part. You would probably have to do a bunch of soldering work to replace the LCD only. Whereas the faceplate on the non-NAV is just plastic and a PCB separate from the unit itself.

Old 05-22-2013, 09:43 PM

Originally Posted by ivanz
the MMCS comes as one single part. You would probably have to do a bunch of soldering work to replace the LCD only. Whereas the faceplate on the non-NAV is just plastic and a PCB separate from the unit itself.
Oop. I didn't clarify. I was referring specifically to the radio CD head unit and the LED display in the panel assembly, in relation to dissecting the panel assembly to swap in a functioning LED display.

I noticed right away that the MMCS is an integrated unit the day after I got my Outie and had a chance to take the dashboard apart. <cough> I couldn't help myself. New toy, must tinker, ya?

I definitely need to be more caffeinated after I get home from the office, when I'm trying to communicate my thoughts clearly at night.

Last edited by mprojekt; 05-22-2013 at 09:45 PM.
Old 05-23-2013, 06:20 AM
Default It is a radio with CD and not the NAV-version

To clarify any misunderstandings. I'm refers to a NON-nav version, where the unit is hidden behind the dashboard. It is the display with orange digits there seems to be broken together with the buttons in the dashboard front.

Old 05-23-2013, 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by tfreiesleben
To clarify any misunderstandings. I'm refers to a NON-nav version, where the unit is hidden behind the dashboard. It is the display with orange digits there seems to be broken together with the buttons in the dashboard front.
If the radio is working just fine, as far as you can tell, then yes, you only need to replace the panel assembly.

Found one on eBay, btw:

Mitsubishi Outlander A V Equipment Recvr Am FM Stereo CD Player Dash MTD | eBay

But you'll want to contact the seller to find out if they are selling the radio cd head unit by itself, the panel by itself, or the entire kit and caboodle.

FYI, brand-new panel assemblies cost about $630 USD, so check eBay before you resort to getting one from a dealership.

Last edited by mprojekt; 05-23-2013 at 10:18 AM.
Old 08-31-2021, 12:06 AM

Is there likely to be any connection, fuse wise, between the display and the background lighting of speedo n tacho. Was just wondering as that doesn't seem to be working either