Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Dealer A/C evaporator replacement cost?

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2023, 09:06 PM
Default Dealer A/C evaporator replacement cost?

Anyone know the estimated dealer cost to replace the evaporator? Pretty sure I have a leak, sniffer in the vent goes off when the ac kicks on.

Old 05-30-2023, 07:46 AM

Called one dealer $2600, seems a little high..

Old 05-30-2023, 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by Truwarrior22
Called one dealer $2600, seems a little high..
$2600 is a "little" high?

I suggest that you get quotes from several local shops that specialize in AC before you submit to a Mit. dealer's financial assault. Ask each shop if they have actually replaced the evaporator in a Mitsubishi Outlander.

If you're mechanically inclined and willing to get your hands dirty, you can try doing the job yourself. Here's a decent video of the evap replacement in a 2015.
The practical problem is that once you begin the job, you probably won't be able to use the vehicle until it's finished.

Old 05-31-2023, 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by Outlaander
$2600 is a "little" high?

I suggest that you get quotes from several local shops that specialize in AC before you submit to a Mit. dealer's financial assault. Ask each shop if they have actually replaced the evaporator in a Mitsubishi Outlander.

If you're mechanically inclined and willing to get your hands dirty, you can try doing the job yourself. Here's a decent video of the evap replacement in a 2015.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HtJ3FHOm1Kc
The practical problem is that once you begin the job, you probably won't be able to use the vehicle until it's finished.
Local shops will do it for $2000. Anyone know where to buy the part? 7810A297 seems to be a little hard locate. Discontinued actually…the plot thickens…I guess it’s never simple lol

Last edited by Truwarrior22; 05-31-2023 at 08:32 PM.
Old 05-31-2023, 10:57 PM

Local shops will do it for $2000. Anyone know where to buy the part? 7810A297 seems to be a little hard locate. Discontinued actually…the plot thickens…I guess it’s never simple lol
Just one example:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005...d=3RaFHSvjZRib

Old 06-01-2023, 05:24 PM

Ordered one from mitsubishiparts.com Used them once before. Around $650, one year warranty.. probably give it an attempt myself first since I have all the A/C gauges. The system currently has no pressure so the leak is bigger than before…

This video shows some different views which is nice as well. I like how they don’t remove the pink wheel cover lol

Old 06-03-2023, 11:34 AM

Ordered one from mitsubishiparts.com Used them once before. Around $650, one year warranty.. probably give it an attempt myself first since I have all the A/C gauges. The system currently has no pressure so the leak is bigger than before…

This video shows some different views which is nice as well. I like how they don’t remove the pink wheel cover lol

https://youtu.be/cNveUQ5gqYA
Yes, that's a great video. I also noticed that they did not remove that wheel cover. That job scares the hell out of me, although doing it would be a great learning experience.. My wife and I have only one vehicle, so we'd have to do some careful planning to make sure that we could be without the use of the vehicle for several days.

I doubt that there are that many manjufacturers of that evap and it's quite possible that the genuine Mt. one may be just a stencil name on one that you could acquire for far less dough. For example, I just got a quote from our local dealer for a new key FOB -- $575 CAD. I just about had a heart attack. Do these dealers realize that one can buy a very good scanner/diagnostic tool for less than that, and it can do key programming on a $40 replacement?

I hope you report back during the evap replacement on how it's going.

Good luck.

Last edited by Outlaander; 06-03-2023 at 01:36 PM. Reason: typos
Old 06-08-2023, 04:44 PM

Yes, that's a great video. I also noticed that they did not remove that wheel cover. That job scares the hell out of me, although doing it would be a great learning experience.. My wife and I have only one vehicle, so we'd have to do some careful planning to make sure that we could be without the use of the vehicle for several days.

I doubt that there are that many manjufacturers of that evap and it's quite possible that the genuine Mt. one may be just a stencil name on one that you could acquire for far less dough. For example, I just got a quote from our local dealer for a new key FOB -- $575 CAD. I just about had a heart attack. Do these dealers realize that one can buy a very good scanner/diagnostic tool for less than that, and it can do key programming on a $40 replacement?

I hope you report back during the evap replacement on how it's going.

Good luck.
This should help as well. Found a clip location diagram too. Ordered some trim tools from Amazon for under $20. Probably worth the cost so I don’t scuff everything up. Part shipped today from Mitsubishiparts.com Appears they are out of Cherry Hill Mitsubishi in NJ.

Last edited by Truwarrior22; 06-15-2023 at 09:16 AM.
Old 06-09-2023, 01:42 PM

This should help as well. Found a clip location diagram too. Ordered some trim tools from Amazon for under $20. Probably worth the cost so I don’t scuff everything up. Part shipped today from Mitsubishiparts.com Appears they are out of Cherry Hill Mitsubishi in NJ.

Fantastic that you've posted those diagrams. IMO, this being an important AC evaporator replacement and all that that entails, this thread should be stickied so that others who go through this will benefit from your experience.

Two days ago I had to remove the small panel labeled 10*3 in the above diagram (our 2010's panel is slightly different than the one in the diagram) in order to hot-glue into position our vehicle's OBD port that had one broken securing clip that allowed the port to float around a bit too much for my liking. The pin on the left of the panel is a hassle to get out and even more so to re-install.

This job aslo provides to those who have a faulty blu tooth module (for phone use) the golden opportunity to replace the module during the course of the job.

Thanks again for posting your progress. I, for one, really appreciate it.

Old 06-13-2023, 11:28 PM

Fantastic that you've posted those diagrams. IMO, this being an important AC evaporator replacement and all that that entails, this thread should be stickied so that others who go through this will benefit from your experience.

Two days ago I had to remove the small panel labeled 10*3 in the above diagram (our 2010's panel is slightly different than the one in the diagram) in order to hot-glue into position our vehicle's OBD port that had one broken securing clip that allowed the port to float around a bit too much for my liking. The pin on the left of the panel is a hassle to get out and even more so to re-install.

This job aslo provides to those who have a faulty blu tooth module (for phone use) the golden opportunity to replace the module during the course of the job.

Thanks again for posting your progress. I, for one, really appreciate it.
About 70% done, just have to put the dash back in, etc. Sorta holding a vacuum. After an hour it loses a couple PSI or so, I think I may need to replace the condenser too. Bottom left looks a little oily and dark…will gas it up and use the sniffer to make sure no alerts when in the dash vents like before. If it still does not hold a charge for a while, probably doing the condenser next…

I don’t think I saw much oil if any on the evaporator which is weird since my sniffer went off some in the vent every time the compressor kicked on.

Quick Reply: Dealer A/C evaporator replacement cost?