Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Gurgling noise when pressing brake pedal

Old 09-18-2014, 06:44 AM
Default Gurgling noise when pressing brake pedal

Hey all...

I just noticed that there is a very faint gurgling noise that seems to come from INSIDE the cabin when the brake pedal gets depressed. It is not loud but definitely there.

The engine DOES NOT have to be on (it makes the sound just pressing the brake pedal when the car is off) but it also makes the noise when the car is on.

Any ideas? Braking seems normal. Just concerned since had an ordeal with the MC running dry last summer during a brake fluid change.

Thanks,
Dave

Old 09-18-2014, 08:42 AM

Keep your eyes on the fluid canister, check it daily, if it misses fluid, you've got a leak.

A noticeable gurgle calls for a considerable leak as I've never heard that kind of noise and had a couple brake/clutch fluid leaks on other cars.

Since you notice it from inside the car, it's got to be close enough that the master cylinder could be faulty ... you had it changed already ...... warranty ?

Old 09-18-2014, 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by SpeedyG
Keep your eyes on the fluid canister, check it daily, if it misses fluid, you've got a leak.

A noticeable gurgle calls for a considerable leak as I've never heard that kind of noise and had a couple brake/clutch fluid leaks on other cars.

Since you notice it from inside the car, it's got to be close enough that the master cylinder could be faulty ... you had it changed already ...... warranty ?
I had a brake fluid change last year but the mechanic let the MC run dry during the procedure. I've since been to Mitsubishi to try and get the air out.

However ever since then, the level of brake fluid fluctuates about an inch (it's lower after sitting o/n) and after driving alot its up about an inch.

Keeping that in mind, the level is about the same each morning so it isnt leaking.

Like I said, braking is the same. Maybe the sound has been there all along I just happened to notice it...but I doubt it.
Anything else I should do?

Old 09-18-2014, 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by newoutlanderfan
However ever since then, the level of brake fluid fluctuates about an inch (it's lower after sitting o/n) and after driving alot its up about an inch.

Keeping that in mind, the level is about the same each morning so it isnt leaking.
At least that's good news ... but ... I'm confused as for the noise then

What do you mean that the mechanic left the MC run dry ? Have you tried using a flushing pump to take the air out ?

Maybe it's no big deal but hearing a gurgling noise .... on a fluid-based system .... weird ....

Last edited by SpeedyG; 09-18-2014 at 01:57 PM.
Old 09-19-2014, 03:03 PM

How does the brake pedal feel with the engine off compared to when the engine's running?
Because, by the sounds of it the diaphragm in your brake servo's leaking!

Old 09-22-2014, 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by Mitsitech
How does the brake pedal feel with the engine off compared to when the engine's running?
Because, by the sounds of it the diaphragm in your brake servo's leaking!
well when it's off you can only depress it a few times before you can't move it....

I drove it alot this weekend and the fluid level did not drop from 3 days prior...so at least that is a good sign!