Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

HID Conversion DONE! (Pics and info)

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2008, 04:20 AM
Default RE: HID Conversion DONE! (Pics and info)

In Europe, Mitsu is selling Outies with Xenon on both lights. The problem caused to other drivers may occur when using lights over 4500k, which turns to purple. Even the light is stronger, the eye is not in fact sensitive to that spectrum so the effect is to blind the others instead of having a good illumination on road.

Old 12-15-2008, 08:03 AM

Well to bad, Mitsu should have offered HID lighting in2007 2009 models here in Canada, don't know why they didn't.

Stick this DIY?

Old 12-15-2008, 08:21 AM

Would have been nice, but Mitsubishi decided to offer what I consider the best crossover for the price. I think they struck the right balance of price and offering. I suppose it could be a dealer installed option but I suspect it would not be purchased by most in this market segment.

Sticky this DIY would begreat! How does one do that?

Old 12-15-2008, 09:59 AM

Ya the light pattern doenst look to bad dekodan. I mean atleast light isnt being scattered all over the place. I bet the performance is great compared to the stock halogens.

I swapped my oem 4300k bulbs to a cheap ebay 6000k. It did provide the color I wanted, but since our eyes see less light at the higher temperatures I could noticely say that they provided LESS light than the stock ones. BUT, I did not go with a high quality bulb ($$) either. After one year of use I switched back to the original Phillips 4300k ones and I was like, holy cow my 6000k sucked! The 6000k ones had faded actually and had gotten worse over time. So the best they looked was the day I put them in.

For me a good quality 5000k bulb is what I will be looking forin the future. Good color and not sacraficing to much performance. But brand DOES make a difference. So whatever bulb temperature you decide on, remember that you get what you pay for. So if its a cheap bulb, dont expect much.... for very long .

dekodan, who is the maker of the bulb? not the kit

Old 12-15-2008, 10:34 AM

WOW congrat on the new mod

Old 12-15-2008, 10:38 AM

The bulb brand is basically no-name from China, so I don't expect long-term miracles. I guess time will tell :-)

Dan

Old 12-15-2008, 10:32 PM

Hey great job!!!! I am about to install mine this week I am just waiting for my wire relay harness. Did you have problems with the polarity for the bulb harness? I tried mine without the wire harness, but used some kind of resistors that my kit came with and it did not light up at all! No flickering what so ever. I did read some where that some car manufacturers reverse the polarity on the oem wire harness for the bulbs. I know I hooked up everything correctly but no light Will try to install the lights this Thursday when the temperature rises below-30. Also, did you get some kind of warning in your dash saying that you have a burnt bulb?

Old 12-15-2008, 10:40 PM

ORIGINAL: Melvin8078

Hey great job!!!! I am about to install mine this week I am just waiting for my wire relay harness. Did you have problems with the polarity for the bulb harness? I tried mine without the wire harness, but used some kind of resistors that my kit came with and it did not light up at all! No flickering what so ever. I did read some where that some car manufacturers reverse the polarity on the oem wire harness for the bulbs. I know I hooked up everything correctly but no light Will try to install the lights this Thursday when the temperature rises below-30. Also, did you get some kind of warning in your dash saying that you have a burnt bulb?
The polarity is important, but if it doesn't work one way, flip it the other; it's that simple. Besides, the wiring harness to the lamps have a red and black wire. Red is positive. Of course, you can use a tester as well. As for resistors that came with your kit, I cannot see why you would need them with the Outlander. These are usually used to simulate a filament so that you don't get a warning light on the dash that a bulb is burned out. The Outlander does not have this feature.

You should have a plug and play installation once you have your relay wiring harness. However, if you have DRL on your low-beams, you will need to do the capacitor modification that I mentioned in my post.

Good luck!

Dan

Old 12-15-2008, 11:33 PM

Hey thanks for the info... One more thing! About the capacitor, I see that you have to plug to the battery harness. Did the female plug come with your harness or do you also have to make that one also? You mentioned just flip the connection, doesn't the oem harness connector have a clip and you could only insert it one way?( sorry still learning about the install)

Old 12-16-2008, 06:56 AM

ORIGINAL: Melvin8078

Hey thanks for the info... One more thing! About the capacitor, I see that you have to plug to the battery harness. Did the female plug come with your harness or do you also have to make that one also? You mentioned just flip the connection, doesn't the oem harness connector have a clip and you could only insert it one way?( sorry still learning about the install)
There is a female connector on the harness for the relay. That comes with the harness. In fact the easiest way to describe things is that you get everything you need in an HID kit and DRL harness, you just need to add the capacitor.

About flipping the connection, the oem harness that goes to the lamp has a clip but the trigger line that comes from the relay harness can be plugged in either direction, it does not really have a mating clip, hence why I used tie wrap to secure the two together once the correct polarity was found. With vibration, they would come apart without the tie wrap.

Quick Reply: HID Conversion DONE! (Pics and info)