Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

HID Conversion DONE! (Pics and info)

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2008, 08:05 AM
Default RE: HID Conversion DONE! (Pics and info)

I opted to install after market HID's into my fogs instead. This did not require any relays or such. The fogs are on a different circuit and do not flicker. Since they are in the fogs, they do not blind oncoming drivers

Old 12-16-2008, 08:36 AM

As blinding other drivers has been a comment from a few people on the board, I just want to clarify for everyone that the Outlander low beam reflectors are well made. They already had HID in mind since it's available on the XLS in the USA.

I posted pictures of the cut-off line against my garage door. As you can see, the light is pretty clean with barely any scatter.

I asked a friend how my lights looked liek sitting in his car facing me and moving towards me.It's bright of course, it's HID, like any car with HID (projector style or not). But it is not blinding or at least not any different from stock HID on a BMW, Lexus, etc...

I know some conversions are blinding because the reflectors were not designed for HID. This is not the case on the Outlander.

Old 12-16-2008, 12:06 PM

Thanks Dekodan! Great work and information!

The Outlander HID Conversion Bashers should learn their facts about MitsubishiOEM installed HIDs using the same reflector design before posting any criticism.
Did anyone also mention that HIDs draw nearly 1/3 less power to run over halogen bulbs and can last for 3000/3500 hours?

Happy Holidays!

Old 12-16-2008, 12:21 PM

Im not bashing it, But the big difference is the factory installed HID's are supposed to be auto-leveling as stated in the documentation. So yes, while on a garage it may look like they are breaking at the same point, while driving this is not true. Personally I am not bothered by aftermarket HID's. When i am less lazy I may perform a similar mod as you, but with a relay so I dont have to have them on all the time. Its just important to note as to not mislead people that there is infact a difference.

Old 12-16-2008, 12:35 PM

The HIDs on my 07 XLS are in fact auto-levelling. I guess this makes a difference on the aim level even just considering the amount of fuel you have. Moreso if you have full seating capacity with load on the back. But I guess this is no different than having halogens since its not auto-levelling too. Just that that HIDs are way brighter than halogens.

I have totally no regrets having paid extra for these (HIDs together with the leather and MMCS and other toys). Just sucks when it's not offered in your market, just like the RDS and TMC reception for MMCS not being offered in the US.

Old 12-16-2008, 01:26 PM

Thanks, point taken...

The issue would be the lack of an auto-leveling function versus the reflector design when installing aftermarket HIDs in the 2007+ Outlander. Is the auto-leveling feature a legal requirement?

If already installing a new relay harness with the aftermarket HIDs.Wouldn't an in-line cut-off switchconnected before the relay work to switch off the HIDs if you didn't want them on as a DRL? Maybe installing this switch in the interior, on the lower left side of the dashboard?

I didn't name anyone in my previous posting. It's just that I don't like to see good work or morale get tarnished by criticism.

Take care.

Old 12-16-2008, 03:01 PM

Well the OEM reflectors with HID are going to be a little different than the ones that are made for halogen bulbs. Not alot, but deffinitley different.

The auto-leveling feature on OEM HID is a little misunderstood though. It is RARELY activated. The only time it comes into play is when you have a lot of weight in the back, or when you are towing. When going up a steep hill I dont notice them being leveled out and I am always blinding people. I think the vehicle has to be in that position for a while before they are leveled (ex. like driving down the highway towing something).

But anway, the cut-off line on the beam pattern is what is really important. Because if light is being scattered all over the place, that is when you are blinding people. With a nice cut-off the light is concentrated onto the road where it is suppose to be.

dekodan has shown with his pics that the halogen reflectors when mated with a aftermarket HID kit proves that the cut-off line is acceptable. I've seen some old honda civics with aftermarket kits, and they are terrible!

PS: my old car had projector housings with halogen bulbs (a very nice cut-off line) no HID. And when coming over a hill or even being higher down the road than oncoming traffic, I would ALWAYS get flashed.

Old 12-16-2008, 07:36 PM

There are evident differences in the design of the lenses between OEM units HID vs halogen, so the patterns that project are totally different. About the autolevelling system, in my experience, the OEM HID can operate without him, and in my case, the autolevelling system makes adjustments when my Out is in slope. . .

Name:  Headlampdifferences.jpg
Views: 2633
Size:  65.9 KB

One question dekodan, what type of HID bulb used in this modification?

Old 12-16-2008, 08:27 PM

I believe they are D2S bulbs.

Old 12-16-2008, 10:14 PM

Thank's dekodan. One more commentary: the correct type of HID bulb for the type of optical in our Outlander (low beam) is D2R (reflector type); D2S is for optical projector type, data to consider for those want makes this modification [sm=smiley20.gif]

Quick Reply: HID Conversion DONE! (Pics and info)