Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Installing a new Head Unit(After a previous aftermarket) 2003 Outlander

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2018, 07:46 PM
Default Installing a new Head Unit(After a previous aftermarket) 2003 Outlander

Hey, guys. So I posted a while ago on an audio forum about this, and got some pretty negative answers that all turned out to be wrong.

So I uninstalled an aftermarket head that was in it because it was a super cheapo touchscreen and it was 100% awful, and I'm nearly certain it was installed wrong, because the calibration would constantly reset and the settings as well.
The car also has a remote starter, so the wiring is just a peach.

But anyhow, I took the aftermarket deck out and fortunately they had used one of the aftermarket harnesses, and spliced that into the one connected to the deck. I cut all the wires and connected my new harness(Same universal colours) to my new head unit, which is actually the stock unit from a 2012 Corolla S. I first just did the power, and once it worked(Ground, 12v Constant and 12v Acc), I soldered the rest of the connections for the speakers and antenna.

All seemed well, I connected it and tried the radio, no luck. Connected my phone via bluetooth, still, no luck. It seemed 100% perfect, but absolutely no sound is coming out.

So, I searched it quite extensively and the most common problem, apparently, is factory amps needing some kind of signal to tell them to turn on and send the power to the speakers. I tried splicing all the blue wires in every imaginable configuration to no avail.

Aside from the whole "Connect the blue amp signal wire" solution, the only other solution is to bypass the amplifier.

My issues:
1. Do I even have an amp? It's just a base model Outlander.
2. Should this new one not work fine considering it isn't the first non-stock unit?

Thanks for any help. Feel free to ask any questions, I'm sure I left a lot out, but I feel like there might be an easy fix.