Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Mivec 2.4 LPG

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2011, 07:38 AM
Default Mivec 2.4 LPG

Hi there, Im based in the UK and going to view a 2004 Outlander Mivec 2.4 lpg/petrol with 88,000 miles . Can anyone on here tell me the common probs to look for on this model please. Regards

Old 06-01-2011, 02:57 PM

As you haven’t had a reply to this, I’ll try and help… I am certainly no expert on these but I’ll share my limited experience with you.
I bought a dual fuel 2.4 2004 Outlander just 4 months ago with 74000 miles on the clock, These are the problems I’ve had.

1) Difficult to start, very uneven tickover and general lack of power, cutting out, especially when cold. After lots of research, replacing various sensors and plugging in to diagnostics, I concluded it must be valve recession. I took it to a local garage who confirmed all the valve clearances had closed up to the point of having no clearance at all. A couple of hours later after he had re-set all the clearances, the engine was transformed, really smooth and powerful. With MPG going from 17 to 20 average mpg as a bonus. So in the end a relatively easy fix. I have now fitted a Flashlube kit to help reduce further wear caused by lack of lubrication from LPG fuel.

2) The radiator cooling fan was running all the time. This was a free fix by Mitsubishi, as there had been a recall for this fault.

3) The front brakes were sticking on and the parking brake didn’t work at all. This was down to a previous lack of maintenance and sorted in a few hours.

4) It may seem obvious, but if you are looking at dual fuel, make sure the LPG system works. The original ‘factory fit’ Pharos LPG system has been obsolete for a few years now, and you will be extremely lucky to find anyone with the software, leads or spare parts etc to fix it. Most LPG installers will want to rip it out and replace it with an up-to-date system. My system seems to be working well, so hopefully will give a few more years of service. Don’t expect the LPG level gauge to be accurate. Not many of them work properly. Just use the mileage trip meter to keep track of the distance. I get 200 miles between fill-ups.

5) Transmission whine. I haven’t cured this one yet. I have replaced the oil in the auto gearbox, 4wd transfer box and rear diff, but it still whines, not all the time, but enough to be annoying. I am going to put up with it for the moment until I can afford to investigate further.

So a few problems, mainly down to neglect by previous owners. It’s a nice car to drive and still comfortable after a 6 hour drive. I think it was a bit of a stretch of imagination to give it a “Sport” badge, but overall it’s a good practical car.

Hope this helps.
Matt

Old 06-02-2011, 02:57 AM

Thanks for that reply Matthewm 1965 I appreciate your help. I found your LPG remarks VERY useful, Can you tell me if these cars have a Turbocharger and if they have a single or twin camshafts fitted please, and how many gears does the auto box have. Best Regards

Old 06-02-2011, 05:00 AM

Have a look at the sticky thread re the engine and cams:-

https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=12221

The autobox has 4 speeds with manual override selection. Mine at least is very smooth changing gears, in fact better than my Mercedes S class!!

Unfortunately it doesn't have a Turbo. This would be a nice addition. I'm sure people have fitted them as an after-market mod, as this engine was fitted with a turbo in other vehicles.

Old 06-03-2011, 06:29 PM

Thanks for all the help Matt. I have just found out that these cars do not have a Turbo as the high lift Mivec cam operation increases the power at 3500RPM to boost performance, and they have a single camshaft also. When I track a LPG model down I will definitly be fitting a Flashlube system to it as your story is the second one I have heard about valve recession on a LPG model Regards Paul

Last edited by Barkas; 06-03-2011 at 06:33 PM.