Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

No TPMS warning???

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2008, 08:41 AM
Default No TPMS warning???

I switched my wheels on Sunday, put my Winter rims with no TPMS. I still don't have any warnings or light signaling a TPMS problem, I have driven the car about 6 times since. Last winterI gotthe warningthe first timeI took the car for a drive, without TPMS.
I imagine that something needs to trigger the system, or it's broken???

Last year Mitsubishi customer service told me that they don't allow us to disable the TPMS for safety reason, (I'm in Canada, we don't have a law that mandates it). But I would argue that it is safer to disable a system and knowing it's disabledit's your responsibility to check the tire pressure, compared to a system thatfails to work like what is happening on my car.

If the car did not have TPMS and I had an accident because of low tire pressure, I would be my fault, no doubt about it. Butif I had a similar accident this afternoon, Mitsubishi would be liable because there system failed to warn me, even though I removed the wheels that have the sensors.

Old 11-25-2008, 09:41 AM
Default RE: No TPMS warning???

Something similar happened to me - I had first TPMS failure warning 2 days after the wheels swap and several start/stops. Anyway, now it goes on every time engine is started...

Old 11-25-2008, 02:02 PM

I suppose the TPMS has a purpose for someone who never checks their tires or never takes the vehicle to the dealer for service where they would check the air pressure. Of course, when it starts giving off false warnings it quickly turns from having a purpose to beinga pain in the rear. As far as mitsu saying they won't disable it for safety reasons thats probably a "cover your rear thing" that their lawyers told them to say. Like any safety system on a car its possible it could fail and whether you could sue mitsu if low tire pressure caused an accident would probably depend on the circumstances.

Old 11-28-2008, 10:21 AM

I am getting the TPMS service required warning now, it just started all of a sudden while I was driving, it took a full 4 days before the car realized the sensors were gone!