Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Outlander Drinking Engine Coolant

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2016, 10:22 AM
Post Outlander Drinking Engine Coolant

Hi,

I have a 2007 (57 plate) 2.0L Outlander Elegance which seems to drink a lot of antifreeze/engine coolant. In a typical month, I'm probably adding about 500ml to the reservoir, as the reservoir will go from the maximum mark to well below the minimum mark after 1-2 weeks of reasonable use (200-300 miles per week).

I have had the issue checked out at a couple of local garages, where they ran the engine for periods of time, but they couldn't find any leaks or moisture anywhere.

When I first got the car (4-5 years ago), I recall reading on the forums that the Outlander has always been a little thirsty for engine coolant, but the amount I'm having to add seems excessive.

Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks

Old 05-06-2016, 03:03 AM

Which type of Coolant are you adding?

Old 05-06-2016, 05:41 AM

I'm just topping up with a generic supermarket bought antifreeze coolant. I'm not sure which brand.

Old 05-08-2016, 05:54 AM

Originally Posted by granitehibby
I'm just topping up with a generic supermarket bought antifreeze coolant. I'm not sure which brand.
Couple things to check. Look at dipstick, does it look like oil or chocolate milk? If that passes, look at your exhaust...does a white smoke come out of the tailpipe? Possibly smells sweet? Have any of the shops done a comptession check on all cylinders? Lastly, look closely at the coolant you are putting in there. I can't remember what engine you had, but the 4 and 6 cylinder engines in the states use a specific type made for aluminium engines.... zerex and peak global lifetime are two products that are compatible. Using another fluid may damage the engine.

Old 05-08-2016, 05:57 AM

Re-reading your first post...are you checking levels always with the engine hot/warm? Just thinking if you ate adding with the engine cold, the fluid may be expanding and exiting out an overfill tube.... just a thought.

Old 05-08-2016, 10:06 PM

Do what CCERNST said first and check the coolant to make sure it's not discolored, like it's mixed with oil.

Otherwise, i'm not familiar with european diesels, i know they're more relaxed regulations than american diesels. But a common place to leak coolant on diesels in the U.S. is at the COOLED EGR system, the valve and heat transfer area. You could leak coolant there and sometimes not see it and it wouldn't discolor the coolant either. I'm not sure what the emissions regulation in europe were in 2007, so you may or may not have a cooled EGR.

Old 05-09-2016, 10:21 AM

One more thought. On the US 3.0 engine with a traditional automatic transmission, there is a coolant loop that goes to the transmission... I think to warm up the tranny faster via the engine. If yours does something similar, check transmission fluid as well for contamination.

Originally Posted by gggplaya
Do what CCERNST said first and check the coolant to make sure it's not discolored, like it's mixed with oil.

Otherwise, i'm not familiar with european diesels, i know they're more relaxed regulations than american diesels. But a common place to leak coolant on diesels in the U.S. is at the COOLED EGR system, the valve and heat transfer area. You could leak coolant there and sometimes not see it and it wouldn't discolor the coolant either. I'm not sure what the emissions regulation in europe were in 2007, so you may or may not have a cooled EGR.