Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

RPM drop under smooth acceleration

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2011, 07:32 PM
Default RPM drop under smooth acceleration

I just had a p0300 code (random misfire) on my 09 outlander 4wd V6 (only 68,000km). Dealer cleared it and didn't do any investigating - said the car was probably put into gear too fast after turning the key...????

Anyway, I am noticing right AFTER a shift into 3rd or 4th (can't remember) in automatic mode (not sportronic) which would obviously cause a drop in rpm due to the shift, it drops AGAIN about 500rpm from about 2500rpm (while I am still accelerating ), and then the rpm begins to climb again. There is no apparent lack of power.

Is this normal? I know nothing about this stuff.

I can't say I have noticed it before, but I am watching a little more carefully since that code was thrown. Would the two be related?

Thanks!!

Old 12-08-2011, 03:54 PM

bump?

I am not in the city where the dealership is, but I will be next week and just am hoping to figure out if I need to make an appt for this.

I re-read my initial post and it may be a bit confusing.

Bascially, during acceleration (around 60km/h), the rpms drop (about 500rpm) but the car is still accelerating, but it loses a little power. After a second, the rpms climb again and I get more power. The drop in rpm happen around 3000 and is not due to a shift.

I am wondering if this could be related to a random misfire code that occured last week

thanks

Old 12-08-2011, 03:58 PM
tcp
Default torque converter lockup

It's the torque converter locking up.

Originally Posted by newoutlanderfan
bump?

I am not in the city where the dealership is, but I will be next week and just am hoping to figure out if I need to make an appt for this.

I re-read my initial post and it may be a bit confusing.

Bascially, during acceleration (around 60km/h), the rpms drop (about 500rpm) but the car is still accelerating, but it loses a little power. After a second, the rpms climb again and I get more power. The drop in rpm happen around 3000 and is not due to a shift.

I am wondering if this could be related to a random misfire code that occured last week

thanks

Old 12-09-2011, 05:10 AM

Originally Posted by tcp
It's the torque converter locking up.

So this is a normal thing? I was under the impression that that torque converter locks up at a higher speed (but again, I could be completely wrong).....

Old 12-09-2011, 10:08 AM
tcp
Default completely normal

The torque converter will lock up in the top 3 or 4 gears. Programmed this way in the interest of getting the best fuel economy out of modern vehicles.

Originally Posted by newoutlanderfan
So this is a normal thing? I was under the impression that that torque converter locks up at a higher speed (but again, I could be completely wrong).....

Old 12-10-2011, 03:42 AM

You can get the exact details of when it locks up (depends on speed and accelerator pedal position) from the service manual. It has graphs on the exact points it is triggered at.

Old 12-13-2011, 09:01 AM

Well, I thjink I am going to take it into the dealer. I am getting weird things happening - rough shifting, a bit of hesitation, and it does seem that the rpms are a bit more erratic than normal....I have no CEL since they cleared the P0300 code, but it feels like it is driving rougher, and the gas mileage is going down (but that could be due to the colder temps)..

Anyone else have these issues after a P0300 code?