Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Slight Clunk When Start Moving

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2015, 04:25 PM
Default Slight Clunk When Start Moving

Hello everyone,

I would like to thank in advance for any help that can be given.

I have a 2007 Outlander XLS with 123000km on it.

The problem I am having is every time I start the SUV and start moving. After I get to 5 or 10km/h there is a slight single clunk noise from the front end. This only happens once and it does not matter if I start moving forward or backwards. After this has happened I can stop put the car in park or reverse and no clunking noise when I start moving again. I can go over rough road without any clunking noise from the suspension so I think it is safe to rule that one out. I can shift forwards to reverse back and fourth without any clunking so I am thinking it is safe to say that the drive shafts are not the noise. If I stop and turn the car off than start and start moving I hear the clunk again once the wheels have made several rotations. It does not matter if I am accelerating very quickly or just letting the car creep forward the noise is the same and only happens once per engine start.

Any help would be great.

Thanks

Old 10-23-2015, 08:01 AM

That is the ABS self check. Normal. You'll get used to it.
Originally Posted by frostyfx
Hello everyone,

I would like to thank in advance for any help that can be given.

I have a 2007 Outlander XLS with 123000km on it.

The problem I am having is every time I start the SUV and start moving. After I get to 5 or 10km/h there is a slight single clunk noise from the front end. This only happens once and it does not matter if I start moving forward or backwards. After this has happened I can stop put the car in park or reverse and no clunking noise when I start moving again. I can go over rough road without any clunking noise from the suspension so I think it is safe to rule that one out. I can shift forwards to reverse back and fourth without any clunking so I am thinking it is safe to say that the drive shafts are not the noise. If I stop and turn the car off than start and start moving I hear the clunk again once the wheels have made several rotations. It does not matter if I am accelerating very quickly or just letting the car creep forward the noise is the same and only happens once per engine start.

Any help would be great.

Thanks

Old 10-23-2015, 03:01 PM

Thank you for the reply.
Could you please provide some more information of this ABS self check. I tried searching for it but I did not come across anything that would really explain it. Also when I test drove other Outlanders I did not hear this sound.

Would this mean that if I pull the fuse on the ABS system the noise will go away? Just as a test.

Thanks

Originally Posted by ccernst
That is the ABS self check. Normal. You'll get used to it.

Old 10-23-2015, 09:14 PM

My '09 does the same thing.

Old 10-24-2015, 12:17 PM

I had a slight clunk from the front for a while and it gradually got worse. Turned out to be the left front tie rod end and the car only had 120k on it. Seems to be common these go around that mileage. I would check those if you haven't replaced them already.

Old 10-25-2015, 11:23 AM
Smile

Good posts I think that's what a lot of AWD& 4Wheel drive people Neglect is having thier Drive train Serviced . Because any time it's a AWD or 4 Wheel drive all those joints and transfer case do a lot of work, so they should be checked and greased and fluids changed on a regular bases. So anytime you buy a used Montero, Outlander, Etc you should have those things ck out.And if Thir all good the person took pretty good care of the veh.When I bought my Frist used 4 Wheel Drive, there was a lot of work I had to have done, this truck was really abused! The front u joints were bad! And the rear Drive line was bent.so that's why it had clunking and a Bad vibrating in it when you got past 40 mph.

Old 10-25-2015, 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by frostyfx
Thank you for the reply.
Could you please provide some more information of this ABS self check. I tried searching for it but I did not come across anything that would really explain it. Also when I test drove other Outlanders I did not hear this sound.

Would this mean that if I pull the fuse on the ABS system the noise will go away? Just as a test.

Thanks
https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/mitsubishi-outlander-10/tsb-regarding-%22clunk%22-22819/page2/

Old 10-26-2015, 11:30 AM

Thank you for the reply.
I think this puts this issue to rest.

Originally Posted by ccernst
https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/mitsubishi-outlander-10/tsb-regarding-%22clunk%22-22819/page2/