Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Static Buzzing noise from AUX-IN when using any car USB charger

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2014, 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by Corbul
Yeah, it seems to be common with car audio systems, but this shouldn't happen with an OEM system. Mitsubishi should have done a better job with the wiring.
Quite common when introducing something "extra" into the OEM system. You can solve the problem by hardwiring your charger directly to the same power and ground used by the MMCS. Or just unplug your charger while playing music (like I do). Ground loop isolators are a waste of money and don't work.

Old 05-24-2014, 12:51 PM

Yesterday I took the car over to a car stereo installation guy and tried to reroute the grounding on the power plug and fix this buzzing noise mess.
We opened up the centre console and tried a few places for a new possible ground. Nothing worked, the noise was still there. At some point we left the power plug connected only with the + wire with no ground and the car charger plugged into it still had power. To me it doesn't make any sense, the thing shouldn't work without the ground connected, but yet it does. In the end we both gave up. Does anyone have any ideas ?

Old 01-28-2023, 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by Corbul
Hello everyone, this is my first post here.

I have a 2009 Outlander XLS with Rockford Fosgate audio and I have recently started using the AUX-IN jack. If I connect it directly to my phone it sounds OK although it does have a bit of static noise at higher volume.

But the static buzzing noise becomes very loud if at the same time I connect the phone to a USB car charger. As soon as I disconnect it, the buzzing hissing noise disappears.

What I have tried so far with no result:
1. Use a different phone > no change
2. Use a different car charger > no change
3. Use the other power plug in the arm rest > no change
4. Eliminate the wire between the phone and AUX cable by using a bluetooth receiver plugged in the AUX IN port. It works, but as soon as I plug in and charge the bluetooth receiver, the static noise starts.

To me the conclusion is clear > any use of the power plugs in the car introduces static buzzing noises in the AUX-IN port, but the question is: How do I fix it? And is it a common problem with all Outlanders or is it something that only happens to my car?
It is extremely annoying and basically renders the Aux-In port unusable.

Thank you.
I do have same issue in My Honda Insight ZE2. No Solution found as yet.
Me using a power bank to power up the BT receiver as a solution at the moment. If i get power from car NOICE comes

Old 01-30-2023, 06:35 AM

Originally Posted by Thushara
Me using a power bank to power up the BT receiver as a solution at the moment. If i get power from car NOICE comes
A USB car charger with built-in good filter may help, but such might be difficult to find. I would try to connect 22µF (or as large as you can find) capacitor on the USB charger output to damp all HF noise coming out from your car 12V output. And see if it helps.

Another more unlucky situation is that the noise is originating not from your 12V power line, but due to unfortunate design of your car radio where ground loop and/or impedance mismatch takes place in AUX-IN. Except replacing the radio, there is not much you can do in this case without detail analysis.

Old 01-31-2023, 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by Thushara
This is the only workaround. I am using a BT receiver with a built in battery and the noise is minimal this way.
I thought about changing the car stereo, but I have no guarantees the noise won't be there even after the change, so I abandoned the idea.

Even with the noise (minimal with a battery powered BT receiver), the sound quality from the stock Rockford Fosgate in my 2009 Outlander is light years away from my Chevrolet Camaro with a Bose sound system (premium option).

Last edited by Corbul; 01-31-2023 at 09:28 AM.