Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

TPMS tool

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2022, 07:41 PM

Glad I can help.

Old 11-08-2023, 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by zapp7
The plot thickens. At Autel's suggestion, I tried the relearn procedure with my summer tires (without putting them on the car) and the procedure worked. I did it again using a different tire order and it worked. I then reattempted with my winters, and the process failed. Seems there is something with my winter tire sensors that the device does not like.
I have same result as Zapp7 video, exactly the process and failed screen on my 2012 Outlander and TS508.
(I hope you are enjoying your car since you have not come back?)

But my car is throwing DTC code (4) that it is not seeing all 4 sensors, that's why I am down this route of trying to reprogram things with Autel.
But at this point I am also thinking even though TPMS scan tools picked up the sensors, there is a problem for the car to communicate to the sensors, as if the sensors are not there.

I have tried Autel and Launch tool upload both failed. It seems the relearning at some point will "ask" the receiver on the car to connect to the 4 sensors. The receiver/ECU cannot find these sensors, and
it takes so long (it gives them time to wake) because it cannot find the sensors! All 4 needs to be good and talking.

What happens I think is the scan tool makers cracked/figured out the code to ask the receiver to wake the TPMS, therefore no need to go trigger it with a second scan tool (e.g. MitsuReset which is almost the same price and only works on Mitsu, is obsolete by now)

After I saw his post, I placed my summer tires with known good, (no throwing code) sensors against the tires on the car, with the valve facing closest to the fenders to make it closest to the car as possible. Since the winter tires appear dead to the car, they have no interference)

I try to relearn again. The uploading only takes 2 seconds. The codes are also cleared automatically. When the code are active it is not able to remove the code.
So the Autel works. The universal sensors I have does not work with the car somehow. Even though selected 4250B975 for programming which was the sensor inside the car

So to summerize

- The TS508 does work for relearning but requires working sensors. Then it is very quick upload like Jonathan's video, all 4 sensors have to be ready to come online. Maybe a requirement to pressurize them to the correct level.

- It can be done each time tire rotation as well, my Mitsu just finds the tire after rotation, but by relearning then the computer does not go through searching the tires. (reducing chance of DTC which is hard to get ride of see below)

- TPMS DTC cannot be cleared if they are "active".

- Relearning process only if successful seems to clear the DTCs, I when and hit clear just in case.

- that means if TPMS DTC comes active, to clear it you would need to use a tool to relearn, with a working set of sensors installed. Clear doesn't work on the tools if it is active.
Also the car could possibly clear itself if the sensor matched.

- MitsuReset is outdated technology.

- if you have the tool that can relearn, I recommend just programming different set instead of cloning. Sometimes my car will pickup the clone sensor sitting my garage as I drive off and I would either give me a TPMS service or low tire pressure that is not the tire running on the car.

Last edited by OutlanderGT; 11-08-2023 at 02:42 PM.
Old 11-09-2023, 06:45 PM

From Jonathan's recommendation I bought the TS508.
What I find you can do is to just put your new sensors on top of each tire and do a relearn with it first. If it is successful then it means it's compatible with your car. Then go ahead and install them in the wheel.

Don't go clone 4 sensors thinking it's going to work, if it does not then you have a lot of work to redo everything.