Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

TSB regarding the "clunk"

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2008, 02:16 PM
Default RE: TSB regarding the "clunk"

I have a 2007 outlander for a year. There is a loud "clunk" noise even when it was brand new. The noise just happens when you turn on the engine and start to move the car at about 3-5mile/hr. It doesn’t matter which direction that you are going. The noise will not repeat until you shut off the engine then turn it back on again. The noise was quite loud so that you fell like something broken or two metal pieces hit each other hardly. Now, the noise seem to be not loud as the beginning, but you are still able to hear it clearly at every time you turn on the engine and start to move the car. I brought my outlander to the dealer yesterday. They just replaced bearings as on the TSB, but when I got my car the problem is still there. They told me the problem that I have happens on all the 07 outlander. Is any one has same problem here? Any way, the dealer is going to show me the “clunk” noise on the new outlander on this weekend. Hopefully, he is right.

Old 01-08-2008, 08:25 PM

Can a moderator make this a "sticky?" It's getting asked every week...

GROUP 35 Service Brakes : ABS Pump Noise (Update): 2006-07 Eclipse, 2007 Eclipse Spyder and Outlander : ABS System Conducts a self-check to ensure it is functioning properly the first time the vehicle reaches approx 2.5 mph. During the self check, a "clunking" noise will be heard from the right front of the engine compartment. The noise only occurs the first time the vehicle is driven after the engine is started. It will not reoccur until the engine is restarted. This noise is a normal operation of the ABS System. Do not attempt to repair this condition.

Old 01-08-2008, 09:09 PM

So, if i start my car now and don't hear the clunking noise I should take it in for repairs because the self check is not working or bad abs.

Now I'm looking at my glass of half filed or is it half empty?

This noise is a normal operation of the ABS System. Do not attempt to repair this condition. Thus if you dont hear it, then attempt to repair?

Hey what can I say, in a hotel and nothing else to do and this was something to do!

Old

Old 01-08-2008, 09:13 PM

ORIGINAL: oldpapa1949

This noise is a normal operation of the ABS System. Do not attempt to repair this condition. Thus if you dont hear it, then attempt to repair?
Perhaps you should turn up your BelTone instead of going to the dealer.

Old 01-09-2008, 08:06 AM

You would hope that if the selftest fails or doesn't run at all, that you would get a warning! I would just assumethat itis normal but not manditory, it could just be that some batch of parts are noisier than others, without actually being defective. I have never heard the clunk.

Old 01-10-2008, 08:11 AM

ORIGINAL: blackb13

ORIGINAL: oldpapa1949

Perhaps you should turn up your BelTone instead of going to the dealer.

Hehe, its a Siemans digital..

Old 01-13-2008, 11:29 AM

are that probleme is in 08 too ?

Old 01-13-2008, 05:48 PM

ORIGINAL: blackb13

Can a moderator make this a "sticky?" It's getting asked every week...

GROUP 35 Service Brakes : ABS Pump Noise (Update): 2006-07 Eclipse, 2007 Eclipse Spyder and Outlander : ABS System Conducts a self-check to ensure it is functioning properly the first time the vehicle reaches approx 2.5 mph. During the self check, a "clunking" noise will be heard from the right front of the engine compartment. The noise only occurs the first time the vehicle is driven after the engine is started. It will not reoccur until the engine is restarted. This noise is a normal operation of the ABS System. Do not attempt to repair this condition.

Yep...

Its the ABS sylenoid being activated. It does it once evertime the car is turned on, and is activated around 2-3mph. Just loud parts, dont worry about it...