Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Wireless Rear Fog Lights? Is it legal? is it feasible?

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2011, 04:22 AM
Default Wireless Rear Fog Lights? Is it legal? is it feasible?

I bought an Outlander GT 2011 and I expect to import it to Europe where I need to do some adjustments before gaining a number plate and formal registration.

It appears that there are 2-ways to implement a rear fog light in an Outlander: (1)-running a wire under the car floor carpet and (2)-using a spare wire from the ETACS-ECU, take the rear bumper off and install some wires that join the plastic rear lamps where the side marker lights reside.

I have read some articles and there are wireless fobs that can light, for example, driving lights, tail lights, towing lights, and spare brake lights or indicator just with the click of a wireless fog located near the driver area.

I wonder if some members may know of this approach to solve the requirement of a rear fog light or of some car electronic firms that may be interested in implementing this wireless technology to provide a kit and install the rear fog light without using the conventional ways, i.e. (1) and (2) named above.

Many thanks for your contributions.
B

Old 11-21-2011, 07:26 PM

Firstly I will start this mod by finding the use of wireless technology in the automotive field. Secondly what wireless devices have been created for use in vehicles and what they are for? Thirdly how nowadays these wireless devices can be modified, adapted, or changed to implement a rear fog light in Mitsubishi cars that do not have any. These also can be extended to other non Mitsubishi vehicles.

DC 12V wireless switching has been already tried in an article: “car-adding 12v accessories to your car-vehicle without wiring hassle” at

http://www.easypeasy.com/guides/article.php?article=68. Equally at

http://www.autotoys.com/New_Tech/DIY...a_foglight.htm can be seen a wireless switch that fits onto one of the “dummy” spare switches in the driver place.

I would like to encourage enthusiastic Mitsubishi members to come with ideas and improvements. For example what are the EU requirements for rear fog light in vehicles e.g. must the switch light be amber or read or green? Must the switch be fixed somewhere on the dash? Can the switch be energized with batteries? I believe if the wireless rear fog light complies with the requirements of the EU then it must pass the SVA.

Last edited by batman47; 11-21-2011 at 07:32 PM.
Old 11-23-2011, 04:11 AM

The cheapest option is to buy any of the ready made universal remote control switches advertised in the Internet and eBay. Usually these kits comprise of one or two key fobs (transmitter), a control unit with small antenna (receiver), and a relay. The control unit is a 12V input/output. The input needs a live connection wire and the output connects to the rear fog lamp assemblage or any 12V device. Each of these devices is sold with their respective installation instructions.

The key fobs may be fitted in a plastic pocket that is attached with a fastener (e.g. Velcro) to the dashboard. Others fix well into those unused dummy switches in the driver’s area console. There are also some remote fobs that fix well into the steering wheel.
Several of these remote (wireless) control devices are manufactured to work well even when the transmitter is 300 feet away. Prices may vary around $20-$40. For example PIAA also offer remote control switches but its kits include the respective lamps (driving/fog lamps) at above $120.

The problem I see at the moment is to find a suitable source of live current that will provide the energy to energize the rear fog light and the receiver. Each rear fog bulb is 12V-25 Watt. An extra 5 Ampere is needed to light both rear fog lights.

The rear fog lamp should light when the “side light stalk switch is ON. This is to say that the wiring that energizes the rear combination light assembly, when the side light stalk switch is ON, may well be the source of the live wire needed to operate the receiver and the fog lights. If there is some concern about this approach a 15 Ampere fuse may be added to the circuit.

Another approach is to connect a wire to the luggage/cargo area 12V power outlet that is live after the car ignition is switched ON. This power outlet can carry a maximum of 120 watts. This is perhaps the more amenable approach.

I will continue researching about this approach and find out what could be the best layout to place the control receiver + relay in the rear bumper of the car and the best way to track the live wire down to the rear fog lamp from the rear combination light assembly or the power outlet. I have already ordered the remote control kit and I expect to have it in the next 10-days.

I wish our enthusiastic members of this forum to provide their comments to this rear fog light approach..

Old 11-23-2011, 07:09 PM

Non European passenger cars fitted with rear fog light must comply with the following standards (From IVA Manual for passenger vehicles-2009) in Europe. Take note of #3 & #8 i.e. the rear fog switch must illuminate when in operation but colour of the indicator light is immaterial.

Method of Inspection
Carry out a visual check of the rear fog lamps fitted to the vehicle for operation, colour, and number and correct positioning. This includes optional lamps. With optional lamps check that fitment is permitted and they do not exceed the maximum number of lamps allowed to be fitted

Note 1: This may be achieved by a pictogram (see section 33) or a word type format, the tell tale may be any colour providing it cannot be confused with any other tell tale.

Note 2: This does not apply to mass produced North American Vehicle’s approved with either FMVSS or CMVSS: • when the fog lamp has been produced by conversion of a brake lamp, or • evidence that the lamp gives suitable intensity has been provided.

Required Standard
Rear fog lamps;
1. They must be operational
2. The correct number must be fitted to the vehicle (Table 1)
3. The lamp(s) must only illuminate when dipped beam, main beam, or front fog lamps are lit
4. They must not be affected by switching on or off any other lamps (except those above)
5. Must be capable of being switched off independently of any other lamp
6. They must only emit a red light
7. They must be positioned correctly to meet
a. the positional requirements of Table 1
b. the angles of visibility requirements of Table 1
8. Must be fitted with an operational “tell-tale” lamp (non-flashing) visible from the driving position
9. Either the switch or tell tale must clearly indicate that operation relates to the Rear Fog lights; (See Note 1).
10. Must not be operated by a brake control
11. Fitted so that the reflector is facing squarely to the rear
12. An optional rear fog lamp must form a matched pair with the obligatory lamp.
13. An optional rear fog lamp must only operate with the obligatory rear fog lamp
14. All rear fog lamps must display an “e” or “E” mark with a “B” or “F” (see note 2)

Old 11-26-2011, 05:02 AM

These are the theoretical steps for the best way to install a wireless rear fog light.

1- Buy a Logisys Remote Control Molex Connector Kit ($16) or equivalent
2- The kit will contain 2-transmitter, 1-receiver, and wires
3- The receiver must connect a live wire in the rear (e.g. the 12V socket). This line will feed energy to the receiver and to the 2-fog light lamps located on the rear bumper.
4- The transmitter already inside its holder at the console at the driver’s seat will activate the rear receiver and the receiver will light the 2-rear fog lights. The transmitter has one button with the mark “ON” and another button with the mark “OFF”
5- When the ON button is pressed on the transmitter a red light will flash for 2-3 seconds and then cease to operate

This (5) will fail one of the requirements of the EU for rear fog light approval, i.e. that the rear fog light switch (the transmitter light in this situation) must light continuously until the rear fog light switch (transmitter) is pressed OFF.

Equally the EU requirements say that the rear fog light mechanism must be engaged after the dipped beam has been turned ON

6- From (3) the 12V socket will operate the rear fog lights even when the car is with the ignition OFF. This situation will fail the EU requirements.

After serious thoughts I have resolved (5) and (6). In other words (a) the transmitter will light red until the rear fog light ceases to operate by pressing the transmitter button OFF. Furthermore, the receiver will energize the rear fog lights only when the dipped beam is ON.

I have done a lot of research and transmitters may illuminate when they are in temporary mode and also the transmitter may illuminate when they are in latch mode. However the above approach will require some type of very simply addition to the printed board (microprocessor) which will make the wireless approach expensive just to have the transmitter illuminated until the OFF button of the transmitter is pressed.

My approach may cost around $60 and if it works it may change for ever the way how rear fog light implementations are usually solved. The approach is a DIY job. Businesses, based on preparing vehicles to make them legal for roads or doing jobs (e.g. adding lights to the rear of the car and controlling the lights from the driver site) requested by enthusiastic owners, will suffer without doubt. Because nobody is interested in making transmitters that are permanently illuminated there are no circuit diagrams where it may show a transmitter that will illuminate permanently. The electronic hobbyist may come with a project that will make transmitter toggle from illuminated to not illuminate at will. People that build transmitters will ask themselves why on earth somebody will need a transmitter that will illuminate permanently, and worse the transmitter’s battery will be flat in a few days.

I will keep informed.

Old 12-05-2011, 03:40 AM
Default Remote rear fog light

The first picture shows a transmitter where the battery has been replaced by the car dipped wires.

The second picture shows the planned circuitry for the implementation of rear fog light that complies with the European regulations.

Attached Thumbnails Wireless Rear Fog Lights? Is it legal? is it feasible?-project-transmitter-hardware-01.jpg   Wireless Rear Fog Lights? Is it legal? is it feasible?-project-remote-circuit-01.jpg  
Old 04-28-2013, 05:13 AM
Default Wireless rear fog success

Success!

The idea of a wireless 2-rear fog light in a Mitsubishi Outlander has been since 2011. No one has contributed to this topic and the reason may be many. However, I must say that the main reason may be the technical difficulties that may have to be carried out to put in practice such an idea.

I am satisfied that after producing several prototype models using RF remote transmitters and 2-capable receivers I have invented a very small system that indeed replace the job of running a wire under the car carpet, and drilling.

My prototype has received approval from VOSA and IVA test Department of the UK government as a safe way of implementing a dual rear fog light in a car suited for the American market.

My system consists of 1-transmitter (with 1-button) that control simultaneously 2-receivers. One receiver is located hidden under the driver dashboard close to the OEM rear fog light switch. The objective of this receiver is to illuminate the rear fog light switch. The other receiver is at the rear of the car .in a little box (80 x 80 x 50 mm) that incorporates all the appropriate harness to make the system operate as required.

The RF system is just an addition to the bumper harness already with the rear bumper that incorporates the side marker lights in a car for the American market.

The receiver dimension is 60 x 35 x 20 mm and the transmitter (fob) 50 x 35 x 10 mm. The transmitter is wired to the dip light. The transmitter is positioned at the driver dashboard.

If you are interested in this system please show your interest in this forum. The system I have invented is also applicable to any make of car not just Mitsubishi

Old 04-28-2013, 08:28 PM

Congratulations and best of luck getting people to use it. As they are not a requirement on this side of the pond, I think most people did not respond to your posts with helpful information since they did not have to make it work. You may get some interest from off-roaders over here who need the better lighting.

Old 04-28-2013, 08:55 PM
Banned

Really sorry, this is out of the scope of my knowledge or I'd have offered some useful advice.

Glad to see you got it all squared away!