Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.
View Poll Results: A poll
2WD
52.63%
4WD Auto
36.84%
4WD Lock
10.53%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

On your 2nd Gen 4WD Outlander, which drive mode do you use most?

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2008, 07:23 PM
Default RE: On your 2nd Gen 4WD Outlander, which drive mode do you use most?

ORIGINAL: smily157

I have gone back and forth on this issue. When I first got the Outie, I left it in 4wd auto for the first 2 months till I took it to the dealer, and for some reason, the HEAD mechanic told me not to ever use 4wd in anything other than snow. So for the next month I left it in only 2wd only to read articles saying 4wd lock has better handling (and obviouslynot harmful) and tried it for a while and noticed a dramatic difference. So, now I use 4wd lock most of the time, when I am on slower roads, and more curvy roads, but when on the highway, doing 80+ I tend to leave it in 4wd auto, although sometimes I forget to switch it. I feel better leaving it in lock mode though, because it really does change the handling of the outie and makes it drive more like a sports car than a crossover SUV.
My thoughts exactly - I can't believe that Head Mechanic Guy - talk about not knowing your product....Re going fast in lock, I really wouldn't worry about it - cruising at high speed in a straight line, the chances are that the torque distro is very similar Lock/Auto, as you are not loading the vehicle it will vary it similarly - all the lock does is allow up to 50% more to the rear when needed - chances are its not during hi speed cruising

Old 01-09-2008, 08:27 AM

The staffturnover at car dealers is so high that I think most of them can notkeep up with the different brands theyservice, I'm sure that alot of them see all 4WD as the same.
I would almost rather not have the 2WD mode, I never use it, but sometimes my wifeuses it and I don'talways check, I usually find out 2-3 minutes into the drive whenI find the the handling is not the same.
In fact, the use of 2WD will cause the front tires to ware out morequicly,so you'll have a bigger chanceof having a size different front to rear, which Mitsu says is not desirable in 4WD Lock, I'm not sure if the deference would be enough to cause some problems when trying to use 4WD Lock but why take any chances.

Old 01-09-2008, 12:54 PM

I do realize that rotating the tires will insure even tire ware over the course of the life ot the tires, but at some point in timea difference can exist

Old 01-09-2008, 07:59 PM

Doubt the difference would be big enough in all honesty. Even in 4WD, if you don't rotate the tires, they will not wear evenly, as driving puts different loading on front/rear. Combined with variable torque, theres just too many variables. Best to rotate them for even wear.