Suspension Is your ride slammed to the ground? Did you lift it so high you need a ladder to get in?

Advice on swaybars needed

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2007, 07:32 AM
Default Advice on swaybars needed

would upgrading my front swaybar to a 24mm fixed bar from a 21mm, and changing the rear to a 22mm from 19mm be worth me paying $378AUD (i think its roughly $285USD) be worth it compared to the improvement in handling?

Old 01-16-2007, 10:28 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Advice on swaybars needed

Not sure on that one. But im sure you would get some improvement. I just dont hear too much about people upgrading their swaybars. Mostly people with get a strut bar. I beileve those give you alittle more handling than a sway bar would

Old 03-22-2007, 04:35 PM

I have sway bars on my car and they do help alot compaired to factory sway bars. They dont let the vehical sway as much from side to side during cornering like the factory bars do. As far as price i think i paid roughly $300 for front and rear.

Old 03-30-2007, 01:12 AM

i was wondering if some one out here mite have an idea on something? i have a 93 sl 300gt i have had it in about 5 shops and every one said nothing wrong but i know there is. the car on some roads fights me every way possible . its loos feeling on straight rds, not like something is loose just sloppy when you go rt to lft lft to rt. cud that be the struts n not vbad enuf to chek by hand? theres also a sligt rattle in the back some where. i dont know to much about these cars and i cant find a good machanic any where. what else could it be?

Old 03-30-2007, 10:19 AM
Super Moderator

well you might have posted in the right thread, because if there is a rattle and it feels alittle strange it may be the sway bar assembly. Get under the car in the rear and right near each wheel you will find the end of the sway bar which goes from one side to the other. Now on the end is usually bolted up. And at the bolt it will have rubber gaskets on each side. My guess is one of these is pretty bad and hitting metal on metal. Id check that first.

Usualy if struts are bad then youll know it. It will knock every time you hit a bump and looking at the strut will be very visable of it being blown, so if shops told you they are good then id think they are.

If its not the sway bar, then it could also be the control arm. That would cause some knocking if it is loose up at the top. But i would think either of these thing they would have check. but you never know

Old 03-30-2007, 01:49 PM

thats awesome advice i will check it out. the reason i thougt it mite be strut is cuz when i drive my car the first time every day the E-break sticks a lil it so i have to hold the E-break button in and pull it up and there will be a clunk when it unsticks, when i do it the first time it grabs realy good and the back end goes to theground but thepass side goes down way more then the dr side so i thought the rear pass side was getting bad. the reason i think the shops didnt look at them isif you saw these places do work its unbelievable they suck bad but its all ihave to go on the area i live in is hell and not much for shops ina 100 miles or so....but i willcheckwhat you saidthank you so much. thisis my first time in a forum ever and didnt know what to expect.... J.M.

i changed the front sway bar links but the rear they only sell a re build kit, i dont see how the come apart. is it just the bushing thats being changed.