2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

Need some ideas. What would you do?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2008, 10:19 PM
ero
Default Need some ideas. What would you do?

I just brought home a fairly clapped-out '99 GS or RS 2.0L (non-turbo)auto. I've actually owned the car for a few years and had given it to my step-daughter to drive. Shejust got a newer car so Igot the old eclipse back today.

Here's the details; high miles (156K), auto-tranny needs rebuilt, runs rough, has a cracked exhaust manifold, compression checked out OK,body and interioris in great condition, has a fresh paint job. It's paid-for. As of now I'm unsure why it's running rough; not sure how much the cracked exhaust manifold is affecting it. It's most noticable at idle; it kind of "lopes" until you give it a little gas.

I'd like to know what I can do with this car. I don't like the idea of putting a few thousand $$ into it just to be able to sell it so if I do put a few thousand $$ into it I'd like to keep it as a "toy" for myselfand drive it occaisonally. I really like the looks of these cars.Can I do anything with the non-turbo 2.0L to make it perform a little better without going "all-out"? I was thinking of putting on a header, having some headwork done, cams (?). Should I be concerned with the lower half of the engine? Should I scrap the car and walk away?

Anyhow, I have a lot of options and need your ideas and suggestions, please.

Old 03-20-2008, 10:22 PM
Banned
Default RE: Need some ideas. What would you do?

Pretty much anything you do will give you minimal gains.

No, the cracked header isnt really hurting things. When was the oil changed?

More than likely it needs a set of spark plugs and wires. NGK plugs and factory Mitsubishi wires.

Old 03-20-2008, 10:58 PM

putting a grand into the car for performance will give you 10-12whp... absoltely NOT worth it. now i don't know of anybody who has done any head work (port and polish, valve job, etc) but even with that, you won't see much gain.
if you want to just get a header to replace the cracked manifold, go with an Ebay header, you'll minimal gain from it but at least it won't sound like @$$.
if you want to just get it running and keep it as a nice looking ride id suggest getting a 97-99 turbo wing and some nice 18" rims. and leave it at that.

Old 03-20-2008, 11:07 PM
ero

ORIGINAL: Sebba

Pretty much anything you do will give you minimal gains.

No, the cracked header isnt really hurting things. When was the oil changed?

More than likely it needs a set of spark plugs and wires. NGK plugs and factory Mitsubishi wires.
No idea of how well she kept up w/the oil changes. I may do the old kerosene flush trick. I'll do the plugs and wires. Thanks.

Old 03-20-2008, 11:15 PM
ero

ORIGINAL: RCJr9186

putting a grand into the car for performance will give you 10-12whp... absoltely NOT worth it. now i don't know of anybody who has done any head work (port and polish, valve job, etc) but even with that, you won't see much gain.
if you want to just get a header to replace the cracked manifold, go with an Ebay header, you'll minimal gain from it but at least it won't sound like @$$.
if you want to just get it running and keep it as a nice looking ride id suggest getting a 97-99 turbo wing and some nice 18" rims. and leave it at that.
I was just looking at the headers on e-bay. Are they all about the same; any preferred brands/proven performers? Any cold air intake suggestions?

Do you mean get a wing off a turbo model? Will it bolt up? I like the looks of those!

So you guys agree it's worth it to fix up this car?

Old 03-20-2008, 11:23 PM

fix it to drive around. its a gas saver not a performance car. intake with some rims and everything maintained as far as maintenance is what i would do. the wing does not bolt up. youll be left with holes.

Old 03-20-2008, 11:24 PM

with the 420a....ebay brands wont hurt performance....it might help make a few hp's. just stay away from their catbacks....those are hit or miss. but yea you can go crazy with ebay's headers and intakes...i'd just get a k&n filter....i dont trust their intakes with the cheap filters.

the wing will require you to fill the holes from the old wing on the rear quarters...not sure about if it will actually fit in the existing holes on the hatch.

yea i agree to fix her up...it just sounds like a minor tune up is the problem.

Old 03-20-2008, 11:33 PM

ebay header is fine, ebay intake is fine but i agree to get a K&N filter. the turbo wing does not have the same holes but you can either fill in the exhisting ones and drill out holes for the new ones or you can try to find a full hatch from a 97-99 gst or gsx. it's worth it only if you are looking for a nice looking, not fast, daily driver.

Old 03-21-2008, 10:36 PM
ero

Hey thanks guys for the suggestions. I ordered a header and test pipe for it. I tore into the car a little today; put a new valve cover gasket, plugs/plug wires, degreased the engine to watch out for other leaks. I didn't have a chance to start it up after the work so hopefully tomorrow it'll run a little better. The old plugs and plug wires were soaked in oil; may have had some fouled plugs.

Are there any tricks to make it possible to cinch-down the valve cover another couple of mm's? Hopefully it won't leak again but it'd be nice to be able go a hair tighter without the bolts stopping against the standoffs.