3rd Generation This includes all Eclipses built from 2000-2005

Window Trim Troubles

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2006, 07:57 PM
Default Window Trim Troubles

I'm trying to replace the outside window trim on the drivers side, 2001 Eclipse GT. But, I can't get the damn mirror off. I took the door panel off and un-bolted the mirror but it will NOT come out. Is there a hidden bolt or clip that I should be aware of? I really need to get this fixed as the piece of trim was fubar and is even moreso now that I tried to remove it lol. Please help.

Again...I NEED to get the drivers side mirror off a 2001 Eclipse GT...they are power mirrors.

Old 02-20-2006, 07:26 PM
Default RE: Window Trim Troubles

I fixed the problem. For those wondering how to remove the side mirrors from a 3G Eclipse...listen.

First remove the door handle and door panel. The handle comes off by popping off the covers and removing a screw and bolt on top and bottom. There will also be a screw on either side of the door panel and a smaller screw inside the handle slot.

Once the panel is off, you need to remove the rubber seal and three bolts holding the mirror (which is also the guide for the window) to the door. The rubber seal simply pops out by wiggling the plastics clips. The first two bolts are easy to remove using an 11mm socket. They are located underneath the mirror housing on either side of the mirror base. I didn't have my camera when i fixed this earlier so these images still have the panel and rubber seal on. I marked the location of the bolts with the reb marker labeled B..

The third bolt (which is actually a nut) is hidden in the side of the door behind the tension bracket. You may have to remove the two bolts holding the bracket to the rocker panel before removing the nut. I did! You can only see one bolt holding the tension bracket in this image, the other is above the bracket.

Once all threee spots are loosened. You need to temporarily remove the 6.5" door speaker and the cover from the door tweeter. The tweeter cover pops off easily. Once the cover is off, unplug the 2 wiring harnesses attached to the mirror assembly (only 1 if you have manual mirrors, and none if you have manual mirrors and no tweeter). The 6.5" woofer is held in by 4 screws and a wiring harness plug.

Once your speakers and plugs are disconnected, you might have to turn on the car and get your window half way up. Makes it much easier to navigate the mirror assembly out of the door by using one hand on top and the other on the bottom via the speaker hole. It will take some finess but the assembly does come out easily. In my case, i had to replace the window trim seal, which is snap on/snap off. But at least you know how to remove the mirror, if you ever need to.

Sorry about the images being so vague.