Everything else Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue that doesnt fit into the other categories?? Ask it here!

Starting troubles for 93 eclipse

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2005, 04:15 PM
Default Starting troubles for 93 eclipse

I have a question on the fuel system of this 1.8. I have had problems starting this car since i bought it, and after taking it to a mechanic, and spending a considerable amount of money on it, nothing really changed. I then started putting HEET and fuel injector cleaner in when i filled up one time. The car started great for the whole tank. then my daughter(she drives it) forgot to put in some HEET on the next tank. towards the end of the tank, it went back to its old ways. so the next time, we added the two again, and no problems. Now, it is starting with difficulty most of the time when its the first start of the day. 20 minutes to get it started can happen. the car will fire, but not take, you will go through this until it finally grabs enough to run a minute, and eventually, you can goose it into starting, and running. after the use of additives helped, i am curious as to if I should replace the injectors, and on that note, if they are getting fouled, do i have a fuel line deteriorating, or something causing this? what looks to me as part of the cruise control is loose and just strapped to the frame, has a fuel line/vaccuum line going to it, and a cable out the other end going to a chained assembly attached to the throttle, and is about 4 to 5 inches square plastic casing with conical on the end where the cable exits.

It was cold the other night here around 20 degrees, and it wouldnt start at all. waited til morning, and it fired right up on the first try, and it was still that cold. waited till my daughter got out of school, and she started it right up again( it was about 45 during the day) she then drove it to a friends again that night, and when she went to leave, it wouldnt start again. so i went to tow it, and tried popping the clutch to start it on the tow, and it fired right up on the first pop. even though it wouldnt start conventionally, just turns over and over without firing. I drove it home, and now its running fine again, it started great this morning. This issue is driving me nuts.

Any insight into precedence on this problem would be great.

Old 02-13-2005, 03:25 PM
Default RE: Starting troubles for 93 eclipse

what year make and model.........

Old 02-13-2005, 04:52 PM

This is a 93 Mitsubishi eclipse five speed 1.8 liter non turbo.

Old 02-14-2005, 04:06 PM

Check the gap on all the spark plugs. I have seen something similar happen and that was the cause. At any rate it is a cheap fix if that is the problem.

Old 02-14-2005, 11:57 PM

have you ever changed the fuel filter? if puting gas treatment threw it helps it, i would change that first then check the injectors. save your self some money and get them hands dirty.