Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

Engine troubles on 03 Montero

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2005, 09:06 PM
Default Engine troubles on 03 Montero

I have an 03' Montero limited and lately the Engine has been acting up. When starting the car it will die imidiately after it starts up. I then have to turn the key completely off and restart the car. It fires up and runs fine on the second time. I took it into the dealership toaday and after they had it all day they 'couldnt find anything wrong with it'. This happens 1 to 3 times a week and is getting annoying. Of course it did this to me today after I left the dealership.

Anyone else had this happen?

Old 04-20-2005, 11:47 PM
Default RE: Engine troubles on 03 Montero

Anyone?

Old 04-21-2005, 12:48 PM
pc

It's really tough to pin point a problem like this. Being an 03 is the vehicle still under warranty? If so I would keep taking it back or leaving it at the dealership until they find the problem. Even if it goes out of warranty at least you have the receipts to show you reported the problem in warranty. I would be a little suspicious of Mitsubishi not wanting to fix under warranty now as they are in financial problems and may look for any reason not to honor.
Without tests and/or codes it is only possible to point to a general area. I would try the idle control circuit and the fuel system. You may even have a problem with your ignition switch. Only guesses.

Old 04-21-2005, 08:52 PM

Its still under warranty. I also purchashed an extended warranty so I am covered until the vehecle is paid off. I dont have a lot of faith in the dealerships service department but I will keep taking in until its fixed. Its probably some stupid sensor that isnt throwing a computer code when it glitches up. Too bad the Montero's trade in value is so low. Otherwise I would trade for a different brand of vehicle.[&o]

Old 04-22-2005, 05:20 PM

did you ever changed any parts?? unhooked the battery lately?? this is common for mitsu's. and the cause is the p.c.u. system, sometimes pcu takes time to register. engine stall is common everytime the computer is registering and it takes 2-3 firing the engine .

Old 04-23-2005, 12:50 AM

Well, Actually this started happening after Mitsubishi changed out the fuel leveler. This was a recall. I told the service manager that it started happening after they did this and he said it was unrelated and was just coincindense. How long would this type of problem happen? This has been going on off and on for over 2 months.

Old 04-25-2005, 07:05 PM

for 2 months??? on and off?? hmmmm.......try to reset your computer, unhook your battery for about 7-10 mins. then hook it back up, start your engine and let it warm for about 10 min.engine should have a tendency to stall then comes back on. and for 10 min.your computer should be fully registered. if, it happens again...let your dealer know that you already reset your computer and the problem keeps hangin around. have em' check your timing and computer.

Old 05-10-2005, 02:58 PM

It is too bad you don't like your Montero. It really is a beautifull car. However, when things go wrong it sucks. I am assuming you are not touching the accellerator when you start the car(you should not have to). The resetting of the computer was a good idea. Make sure the dealer checks for codes. They get lazy and don't always check if they cannot find a symptom. Have them clean the throttle body(important). How many miles on your car?

Old 09-29-2005, 10:51 PM

Take it back to the dealer bud....they should be able to fix that problem. And..if its still under the warranty...why not..its covered....its their problem right.