Everything else Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue that doesnt fit into the other categories?? Ask it here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

3 liter oil circulation problem to heads/cam

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2012, 06:55 PM
Unhappy 3 liter oil circulation problem to heads/cam

Hello,

I have a 1996 Plymouth Voyager with a Mitsubishi 3 liter, single-overhead cam, 12 valve engine in it. I just replaced the head gasket & had the rear head completely rebuilt by a machine shop. When I got it all back together, it started right up, no problem. But I noticed that the valve clatter was very loud, like they weren't getting any oil, even after several minutes of running. Other than that, it seems to run fine.
So I checked the oil light, but it was off, indicating that there is sufficient pressure. Then I shut the engine off & turned the ignition switch back on, without starting the engine, to check that the light functions, & it did. So I then restarted the engine, & it went off again, indicating that there was pressure again. But the valve assembly was still pretty loud.
So then I removed the rear valve cover again to inspect the rocker arm assembly, & as I suspected, it's still completely dry & clean. Not a drop of oil on it.
This problem didn't exist before I replaced the head gasket. So is there any1 out there who is familiar with these engines that may be able to tell me what might cause the light to go off, but still not supply the heads with any oil? Maybe there is something I forgot to do in reassembly. I can't think of what this might be. Hopefully, whatever it is, it won't require too much tear-down again to fix. I appreciate any insight or ideas that any1 may be able to offer.

Thank you.

Old 01-16-2012, 11:37 PM

head gasket on upside down ????

Old 01-17-2012, 12:50 AM

Originally Posted by mxmikie
head gasket on upside down ????
Well, that's an interesting theory. But I doubt it. I was specifically pretty careful not to do that when I put it on. But thanks for your idea. Anybody have any others?

Old 01-17-2012, 01:15 AM

Originally Posted by ChryslerMan
Well, that's an interesting theory. But I doubt it. I was specifically pretty careful not to do that when I put it on. But thanks for your idea. Anybody have any others?
Also, I just traced my old gasket on a large sheet of paper, & then turned it upside down & lined up where the grommets would place the gasket to see where it would stick out. It would stick out about 1" ob the front of the engine, which would've prevented the cam gears from going into place. So I would've discovered this during reassembly. Also, the water jacket lines that run through the back of the gasket, between the block & the head would be completely unsurrounded by the gasket, which is the part that would stick out on the front. This would cause a huge coolant leak. Despite the noise, I did check for any coolant leaks & found none. No coolant dripping from the engine, & no loss of coolant from the radiator. So this theory has been ruled out for sure. But again, I appreciate the suggestion. It was certainly a possibility, & was worth investigating.

Old 01-17-2012, 05:51 PM
Unhappy

UPDATE: I pulled the rocker-arm assembly off & cranked the engine, & got plenty of oil up through the head. So it seems that I have a blockage in the rocker-arm assembly. Curious though, because there was never a problem with this before I took it apart. It just seems odd that this would occur right when I took it apart.

Old 02-10-2012, 12:22 AM
Lightbulb Update

Apparently, I somehow got the rocker-arm assembly assembled incorrectly. I got another 1 complete from the wrecking yard & now it works fine. Thanks for the suggestions, guys. I just wanted to let you all know.