Everything else Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue that doesnt fit into the other categories?? Ask it here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need Suggestions for new Engine

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2006, 05:23 AM
Default Need Suggestions for new Engine

Hey guys. I have a 1997 spyder and I need to buy a new engine due to issues. Does anyone have any suggestions for me. I am looking to get something that is more towards performace, but not overboard. Your input is greatly appreciated

Old 11-08-2006, 11:49 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Need Suggestions for new Engine

is it a GST or a non turbo. If its a non turbo then your options are pretty much limited to just a 4g64 engine. If its turbo then the best things is to get a motor from a 1990-1992 eclipse turbo. If you cant get that then any 4g63 7 bolt would do

Old 11-10-2006, 04:10 PM

It is a GST. Why would you recommend an engine from a 1990-1992 year? Are those engines a better designs? Also, when you say a 4g63 7 bolt, do you mean getting a used one from any year that would fit a 1997 Spyder GST? Also, should I go with a performance motor, something that is more then just the standard or is the standard a powerful enough engine to play around with (by adding mods, etc). I should have mentioned that I am about to buy this car from a friend if all goes well.

Also, do you know how reliable the Spyder GST is on snow and on rainy weather. I might have to drive it on snow a few times and during rainy weather. Does the convertible top hold well, or is it at least fixable if the stock top does not? (Also, comparing the GST to an GSX, would you recommend a GSX (because of the all wheel drive) over a GST, and why?)

Also, for installing a motor, how would you look for the right mechanic? There is a place in my town that works on imported cars, and they said that they just did over 57 engine installs just last year. How would you rate a place if they are certified enough for such work?

Thanks again

Old 11-10-2006, 04:48 PM

Those years have the 6-bolt engines which don't have the problem of crankwalk like the 7 bolts do.

With the GSX and GST, I would go with the GSX, all wheel drive equals better traction. The GSX sells for more for this reason, lot of power to four wheels, you can launch like no other. There is tons of discussions of this all over the place.

With the mechanics, just talk with what specific cars they have done. Its kinda hard to tell ya if a shop is good or not because it all depends on experience and on the other half if they will dick you over or not, so I would talk with anyone that has taken their car there, and also with other shops. Just like with anything, don't go with the first one you find, look around first.