Everything else Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue that doesnt fit into the other categories?? Ask it here!

Sportronic transmission jamming?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2004, 01:12 AM
Default Sportronic transmission jamming?

2004 Endeavor - We have had our Endeavor for almost 1 year to the day. Love most everything about it and the dealership has been great anytime we needed servicing. Had no problems at all until last week on the way home. While driving in the regular automatic mode on a 60 mph 4 lane bypass I was trailing a car at 45 mph stuck behind them. When I got an opening to go around I tried to shift to the sportronic manual to get a bit more kick. It resisted the movement to the manual shift side as if something was down in the shift column. When it did finally shift over, I couldn't down shift from the 3rd gear I was apparently in on the automatic side but could go to 4th. The rpm wasn't high to cause the resistance either. Never had the problem before. I put the transmission back to auto side and after turning off the highway and down towards our neighborhood I tried to replicate the previous problem and it acted up the same way but not at as high of a speed. I stopped in the driveway and turned off the car and went inside. We then took the vehicle on a short trip on the highway immediately after with no problem on the way or back and tried several times. Late that evening on a Wal-Mart run with my son, after entering the bypass, I tried the transmission again. It acted up once more in the same manner. This time I had someone with me who tried the shift **** also. I called our dealer and have set up an appointment with them to check it on Thursday. I haven't had the problem the last few days but wondered if anyone else has had these problems or any ideas. It is possible I guess that something was jammed in the column but I couldn't see anything but I didn't take off the cover either. Any ideas? Thanks. I love the transmission option and it was a big selling point on the vehicle along with the room and styling and comfort of the softer than most leather interior.

Old 08-15-2004, 02:38 AM
Default RE: Sportronic transmission jamming?

Just an update. The transmission was checked to be fine. The problem seemed to be a small plastic or rubber like gasket or panel backing that had curled up under and behind the shift ****. They are replacing the entire shift package with a new one, no problem. Still love the car!