Mitsubishi Diamante For the faithful Mitsubishi owner, this car offers high end luxury without high end luxury pricing.

Strange code & tranny problems

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2008, 03:24 AM
Default Strange code & tranny problems

Ive got a 92 LS, and Ive got a CEL that gives me code 71, which is "Traction Control Vacuum Valve Solenoid Fault." I have no idea what this means, so I went to the dealer and asked the parts guy if he could look it up and show me a pic if this solenoid. He was very willing to help, but after a half hour we had found nothing. So he talks to one of his tech's who says he thinks it's in the ABS system somewhere, but not exactly sure where. Basically I got nothing.

As a side note, but probably related, I only have 3rd gear (I think...it may be OD). No matter the position of the shifter, I only get one gear. At 70 mph, the car runs great. In town, it sucks. The transmission mode switch makes no difference, and the OD button does nothing.

So, my guess is that this traction control problem is causing my tranny problems. Something is telling the transmission that there is limited traction and it's stuck in a high gear to avoid spinning the tires. Does that sound reasonable?Anybody know what or where this vacuum valve solenoid is? Better yet, know how to fix it?

Thanks

Old 09-09-2008, 07:47 AM
Default RE: Strange code & tranny problems

the p/n you need is md165142.... located on the firewall there is a bracket with 3 emission solenoids the top one is the traction control solenoid it should switch closed when you turn the key on.....you can disable it by removing the vaccum lines to see if it helps your shifting problems......

Old 09-09-2008, 06:34 PM

I checked my car and only found one solenoid. It has two vacuum lines: one goes to the throttle body, the other to the fuel system canister.

I took that part number and went back to the dealer. He printed me out a copy of a couple diagrams. One shows the system with threesolenoids (p/n 12421V, 12421W & 12421P), and the other shows a singlesolenoid arrangement likeI have on my car (12421P). I can't find any electrical connectors or vacuum linesthat look like they should go to something that is missing, so I don't think anything was pulled off.

So what is the difference in the two diagrams? I assume they are for cars with different options. Now that I think about it, I don't recall seeing any switches or lights that indicate the presence of traction control on this car, but then why would I get that code? For what it's worth, the ABS light is also on, in addition to the 'check engine' light.

I really appreciate your help with this. Tracking this down has been the cause of more headaches than I've had with any other car I've ever owned. Anythoughts you have would be appreciated.

Old 09-10-2008, 06:57 AM

you should have a switch located on the center console in front on the shifter.

Old 09-10-2008, 11:22 PM

I'm beginning to wonder why I'm even getting that code.There is no switch anywhere for traction control, so I'm guessing I don't have it. I've been told it's pretty rare.

Is there any way to figure out why the ABS light is on? Is there a way to get a code for that?

Thanks for the help.

[img=http://img98.imageshack.us/img98/6747/mitsu4xn2.th.jpg]

Old 09-18-2008, 10:13 PM

I checked my codes again, just for kicks, and I got a new one. In addition to the code 71 I mentioned above, I also have a code 72 which is Traction Control Vent Valve Solenoid fault. So, I've got a bad vacuum valve and vent valve, and I still have no idea where these are.
Any suggestions....anybody?
Thanks

Old 09-19-2008, 08:37 PM
Super Moderator

Idk abt your abs problem but your trans might be in limp mode since you only have 3rd gear.

Old 09-19-2008, 10:14 PM

Caused by what, and fixed how? Is this a TCU problem? An ECU problem?
Any thoughts appreciated. I bought this car 5 years ago just to get a motor for my wagon. This project got put on hold for a long, long time, but now I have the time and space to do it and I want it done.I want to get it running right though first before I swap the motor into another car.
Thanks

Old 09-20-2008, 07:46 AM
Super Moderator

Probably a tcm, try to scan it and see if you can get it to communicate w/ the scan tool.