Mitsubishi Eclipse & Eclipse Spyder For years, the Eclipse line has stood for cutting edge styling and performance at an affordable price.

03 Eclipse starting issues

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2019, 09:41 AM
Default 03 Eclipse starting issues

Hey everyone,

This is my first post on here but maybe someone can help. I have a 2003 Mitsubishi eclipse spyder 3.0L V6 automation. When I first bought the car it was fine except it had an oil leak from the intake manifold gasket. About a month after buying it it would just kill while driving. If I let it sit a few days it would start up but eventually kill again. I took it to a shop and they wound up replacing the distributor, starter, coil, manifold gaskets, and finally they board out the catalytic converter. The shop said the exhaust was clogged probably from the oil leak. The car ran good until a few weeks ago it wouldn't start. We then changed the rear intake manifold, both upstream O2 sensors, and it sounded better but still gave us trouble starting. We found out if you disconnect the gas line from the fuel pump and crank it it would start then reconnect it and it would start but a few times starting it you have to pump the gas fast and it'll start. Changed the fuel pump and it seems like that didn't fix the problem. Now it's to the point where if you disconnect the fuel line from the pump and pump the gas it'll backfire and sound like it wantsto start but doesn't. Anyone have any insight into this?

Old 09-21-2019, 07:13 PM
Default Mitsubishi

Originally Posted by Mike Daroca
Hey everyone,

This is my first post on here but maybe someone can help. I have a 2003 Mitsubishi eclipse spyder 3.0L V6 automation. When I first bought the car it was fine except it had an oil leak from the intake manifold gasket. About a month after buying it it would just kill while driving. If I let it sit a few days it would start up but eventually kill again. I took it to a shop and they wound up replacing the distributor, starter, coil, manifold gaskets, and finally they board out the catalytic converter. The shop said the exhaust was clogged probably from the oil leak. The car ran good until a few weeks ago it wouldn't start. We then changed the rear intake manifold, both upstream O2 sensors, and it sounded better but still gave us trouble starting. We found out if you disconnect the gas line from the fuel pump and crank it it would start then reconnect it and it would start but a few times starting it you have to pump the gas fast and it'll start. Changed the fuel pump and it seems like that didn't fix the problem. Now it's to the point where if you disconnect the fuel line from the pump and pump the gas it'll backfire and sound like it wantsto start but doesn't. Anyone have any insight into this?
I
I'm no mechanic but I'd check the Mass Air Flow sensor, I betcha that'll fixer up.