Mitsubishi Galant A sporty mid-sized sedan offering the perspective buyer a change from the normal mid-size sedan class.

02 Galant V6 Oil leak

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2021, 04:21 PM
Default 02 Galant V6 Oil leak

Got a problem with an oil leak in my wife's Galant. I know it was leaking oil from the cam cover gaskets and had those replaced a while back but the problem has persisted although not as bad as before.
I decided to do an oil change for myself a couple of weeks back and found the oil filter was not even hand tight.
Bingo! Thought I'd found the problem.
I replaced the loose Fram filter with another Fram filter I had on hand and cleaned up the area a little.
All was going well, the smell of burned oil was rapidly going away as residual oil on the exhaust system flexible couplings was being burned or baked dry.
Then a couple of days ago the smell came back.
I just checked the filter, it's not loose but there is oil back in that area again.
So anyone else had this problem?
Is there a filter mount with a gasket bolted to the block?
Could it be the oil pressure switch if that's in that area?
By the way I've read up and found that Fram filters don't seem to have a very good reputation so I won't be using them again.
Somewhere around here I have a manual for that car but do you think I can find it!

Any suggestions welcome.

Old 07-27-2021, 07:27 PM

Still trying to find answers for this, I'm figuring it's either the gasket behind the oil filter adapter or the O rings between the oil pump and the block.
Anyone had this problem?