Mitsubishi Galant A sporty mid-sized sedan offering the perspective buyer a change from the normal mid-size sedan class.

1994 Galant... strange noises!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2009, 06:49 PM
Default 1994 Galant... strange noises!!!

Hello all,

Newbie here. I am working on a 1994 Galant ES that a family friend got for her Mom for Mothers Day.

So far the fluids and filters have been changed as well as the distributor cap, rotor, spark plugs, and soon to be spark plug wires.

The brake rotors and drums are coming in tomorrow, and the KYB struts are on order.

There was a clunking noise from the rear of the car... found some bushings bad at the upper control arm. How do I go about swapping these out? I have a pair of urethane bushings on hand, but I can't seem to figure out how to remove all of the old bushings.

There are some metal sleeves that seem to have been molded into the old rubber bushings... been melting the old rubber out of the link with a propane torch. There seems to be a metal sleeve pressed into the bore where the bushing would go... do I grind this out to the parent metal of the link? Or is the "sleeve" supposed to remain there?

Is there an "easy" way to press the new bushings into place? I was thinking of beveling the edge of the bore so it would be easier for the new bushing to get started into the bore.

Also... I have an unidentifiable noise coming from under the hood... it kind of sounds like dry leaves rustling around under there. Any ideas as to what the noise could be?

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated... Thanks in advance!

Brian
(TheDemonator)

Old 05-31-2009, 09:51 PM

you have to remove the control arm and use a press to remove the old bushings. and the sleeve is part of the bushing, if your new ones dont have a sleeve, then they are not correct. pressing those bushings in and out is a bitch!! have a pro do it for u. we have a super duper new press in our shop and it still is tough.