Mitsubishi Galant A sporty mid-sized sedan offering the perspective buyer a change from the normal mid-size sedan class.

Loud Screeching Noise Sometimes When Braking

Old 07-07-2013, 12:47 AM
Default Loud Screeching Noise Sometimes When Braking

Hello guys

This issue has been bugging me for about 2-3 months now. Basically, sometimes when I brake, there is a loud screeching noise coming from either underneath the front of the car or the passenger side (to me, it sounds like it's front underneath). I drive a 2010 Galant.

I first figured it was time for new pads, since it's been a while, but the noise continued after new pads and resurfacing the rotors.

We then discovered that the front passenger caliper was sticking, so I replaced both front calipers to see if maybe that was the issue, but of course that didn't help.

I've basically had 3 places look at my brakes to see if they could see anything, 1 being my dealership, and all said everything was good. I heard that the rotor shield sometimes get bent and can cause a noise, so I also asked them to take a look at that when I was at these places, and they said that wasn't the issue either.

This issue has stumped me, so maybe someone else has had a similar issue.

Thanks for any input.

Old 07-07-2013, 12:01 PM

did you turn the rotors or replace them ?????

Old 07-07-2013, 02:34 PM

Yes, the rotors were turned/resurfaced.

The issue occurred before doing any of this though.

I applied the brakes multiple times this morning while the car was in park, and the noise did not happen. As soon as I began backing up, the noise could be heard, even when I wasn't pressing the brakes, so I'm fairly positive that something is contacting a moving part (rotor, etc?), I'm just not sure what.

3 places have already said they didn't see anything strange, but now I'm thinking that they "said" they looked but didn't really do so.. Times like this is when I wish I had my own tools haha. I'll probably take it to 1 more place just to verify.

If there's anything else that anyone can think about that could be contacting the rotor or any other moving part, it would be greatly appreciated!

Old 07-07-2013, 06:46 PM

Driving home from work today, it happened a few times.. It almost sounds like it's coming from right underneath the car close to the brake pedal..