Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

01 3.5l montero sport sohc, dampner problems questions

Old 07-01-2017, 10:54 PM
Default 01 3.5l montero sport sohc, dampner problems questions

Hi and ty for having me on your forum. Its late so i will try to describe my situaion. I recently bought a 01 montero , great deal but needs work , 150k for 200 bucks , nice rig, they thought it had a bad motor, but its the dampner issue. I am struggling with a few issues , first the crank is fine, i have checked the threads, but when the balancer came apart, (it was not only half way off but the rubber was gone also) it sheared the roll pin. problem one, i plan on trying to tap the broke off piece, and put a bolt in it to get it out. unless there are better suggestions.

second problem.
if i can the parts houses they say 94-04 is the same. but when i go to the wrecking yards, they say 01 02 only
so i ordered one from a wrecking yard on ebay, they said its an 02
but , mine does not have the addtional v belt pulley, it only has the serpentine
the new one has the pulley.

is it ok to run??

Third problem

the timing cover , behind the dampner took some damage, it has actually wore against the timing belt. I dont see a seal of any type there, could this be repaired with some plastic epoxy, or should i just get another. i do plan on replacing the timing belt once i drive it for a week or 2 to make sure all is good.

4th
I have read about an updated bolt, I have a good bolt, does the updated bolt help to keep these things from coming loose, or is it a stronger bolt , less likely to snap.

5th
what suggestions would you offer to keep this from coming loose in the future

6th, i see several complete timing belt kits on ebay , ranging all over in price , any suggestions on a good kit,

thx in advance for any and all suggestions
rob

Last edited by huntertownsen; 07-01-2017 at 11:03 PM.
Old 07-01-2017, 10:57 PM
Default another

I also have a chance to buy another , its an 03, 106k , it has a stripped crank.

crank kits arent bad, but could a guy drill it out and oversize the bolt, i know the bolt has a shoulder on it, but i could machine that, any one ever try this and had any luck
thx again rob

Old 07-02-2017, 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by huntertownsen
Hi and ty for having me on your forum. Its late so i will try to describe my situaion. I recently bought a 01 montero , great deal but needs work , 150k for 200 bucks , nice rig, they thought it had a bad motor, but its the dampner issue. I am struggling with a few issues , first the crank is fine, i have checked the threads, but when the balancer came apart, (it was not only half way off but the rubber was gone also) it sheared the roll pin. problem one, i plan on trying to tap the broke off piece, and put a bolt in it to get it out. unless there are better suggestions.

second problem.
if i can the parts houses they say 94-04 is the same. but when i go to the wrecking yards, they say 01 02 only
so i ordered one from a wrecking yard on ebay, they said its an 02
but , mine does not have the addtional v belt pulley, it only has the serpentine
the new one has the pulley.

is it ok to run??

Third problem

the timing cover , behind the dampner took some damage, it has actually wore against the timing belt. I dont see a seal of any type there, could this be repaired with some plastic epoxy, or should i just get another. i do plan on replacing the timing belt once i drive it for a week or 2 to make sure all is good.

4th
I have read about an updated bolt, I have a good bolt, does the updated bolt help to keep these things from coming loose, or is it a stronger bolt , less likely to snap.

5th
what suggestions would you offer to keep this from coming loose in the future

6th, i see several complete timing belt kits on ebay , ranging all over in price , any suggestions on a good kit,

thx in advance for any and all suggestions
rob
Welcome to the forum. It sounds like you got yourself a great deal on your Montero.
Here are the answers (to the best of my ability) to your questions:
1. I don't think you'll be able to tap the roll pin. It is made of a hardened material and that makes is less likely to work. I believe you are talking about the part of the pin left on the timing gear, right? If that is the part you are working with - you can try to drill out as much of the pin as you can (use smaller drill bit to enlarge the inside hole). Count on going slow and destroying several drill bits (try not to snap them inside, since that makes the whole process so much harder). Work on the drill press, not with a hand drill (more control). Once you enlarge the hole, you can jam in the square bolt remover and try to spin out the roll pin. If you are not successful with that, you can always replace the timing gear. You don't need to worry about the part of the pin on the ballaner, since you have to replace it anyway.

2. 100% interchange is 01-03 years. Some later and some earlier years work too, but you need to know which parts and which specific engines. In your case, I suspect you may have gotten a Montero Sport pulley and those are completely different vehicles. I can't tell you how many times I had to tell the sales people NOT to quote me Montero Sport stuff. They think its a trim level or something. You have to ask several times if it is Sport or not. You'll learn to do this

3. Timing cover, if it is not rubbing on the timing belt, you can seal the hole for now and run it until you replace it.

4/5. Dampener bolt was updated because it was prone to snapping off when it got corroded. I believe the only way you ensure the bolt doesn't come out, is to torque it properly. No locktite or other stuff like that. In order to torque it properly, you need to have (or to make) a dampener pulley holder.

6. Can't help you with that one. I'm sure the super cheap ones are made in China and are total crap. I'd stay away from e-bay for these parts. For my taste timing belt area is too critical of the component to play dice with. If you have a good mechanic - pick his brain. They have experience with different brands and can at least steer you clear or the really bad ones.

I hope this helps.
Good luck.

Old 07-02-2017, 03:13 PM
Default update

Ok on the roll pin, you are correct a tap didnt work, but what did was spraying it with a penetrant, then i used a sheet metal screw, it ruined the threads on the screw and had to re-secure a few times, but with a little leverage from angle side cutting pliers (dikes, wanted to be pc lol) it came right out.

I have found a dayton complete set up with cam seals for a great price, I am old school, dayton used to be great products im hoping they still are , but i havent ordered it yet. the timing belt has been slightly damaged , so im going to make a few mile trip, and that will be the extent of my testign b4 i replace the belt.

i will keep you guys updated as i progress, and all input is much appreciated
thx again rob

Old 07-08-2017, 12:07 AM
Default montero

Well i am progressing , turns out i have a montero, not sport, so the balancer that came was the wrong one, i sent it back and got the only one i could find, it was on ebay. its the correct size, length that is , but my old one seemed to have the main balancer , and behind that was another ring, not sure if it had rubber in it or not it was loose, the whole pulley was wiped , it was made of steel , the new one does not have the ring and is made of aluminum, not sure what that is about but it fit correctly , and on the test drive it seems ok. I am worried its not the same, maybe becuase its lighter it doesnt need the extra part, not sure . i will post a pic of the old one. the other thing i noticed, the new one does not run perfect, its got just a slight wobble to it, very slight, not sure if this is normal or not. really could use some advice. Also it took a bit of force to get it to go on the crank, not too bad, but it was not a simple slide on, had to wrench it on all the way. about 50 # of torque until it hit bottom. then it torqued up fine. any thought ??? it is listed for the correct year and model. i dont have the old one in the house, but i will post a pic later, i do have the extra ring, so i will post that pic now

Attached Thumbnails 01 3.5l montero sport sohc, dampner problems questions-mont-001.jpg  
Old 07-19-2017, 12:18 AM
Default update timing belt

Well , im glad i only test drove it a few miles, i ordered a dayco timing belt kit, just installed it , when i opened it up this is what i found, it was really close to blowing , the belt was only 3/8 in wide. the lower timing belt cover was hammered, checked ebay 60 bucks was cheapest including shipping , so i call mitsu, 35 bucks brand new go figure!!!

Attached Thumbnails 01 3.5l montero sport sohc, dampner problems questions-mont-001.jpg   01 3.5l montero sport sohc, dampner problems questions-mont-005.jpg  

Last edited by huntertownsen; 07-20-2017 at 09:35 AM.