Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

4 wheel drive problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2011, 10:33 AM
Default 4 wheel drive problem

Hi all-

New here. I have a 1987 Montero, the 4 wheel drive recently quit. Can't move the 4 wheel shift lever, found two wires loose in the vicinity of the shift lever hanging underneath the vehicle but can't figure out where they connect or if they are related to the 4wd problem. The 4wd was working fine. Engine still runs fine, shifts into all gears, etc. Have tried unlocking/locking hubs, backing vehicle up, etc. The wires in question are together in a harness, both are red in color, may have a stripe on them. Any help greatly appreciated. Would like to restore this vehicle!

Old 09-06-2011, 11:01 PM
Default you have an '87 montero? I have an '86

My 1986 montero runs fine! Even the air conditioning works. It originally came with manual locking hubs. I had them changed to automatic locking hubs, I think about 15 or more years ago. Only one time did I ever have a brief issue, with the right front 4wd not engaging for about 10 minutes. This self resolved. Mechanic said that it had gotten a little sticky from nonuse at that time. Never happened again. Don't know if this is the situation with your montero. I have been the sole owner/driver of mine. It's black w grey interior. New parts and work done on the engine, like new gaskets & a new clutch pump. I even just put in a new antenna. Nowadays I don't drive it very much due to having another car & other "responsibilities." I should probably sell it. Do you think there is any kind of market for this rugged vehicle? Let me know what you think. I hope this is helpful and thanks for keeping your montero going.

Old 09-07-2011, 06:39 AM

Dear nevergetstuck-

I think there is a bit of a market for these vehicles because they were so tough and well built like a lot of their competition at the time ( toyota truck, etc ). Mine has 158,000 on it, I bought it about 4 years ago for my kids to drive around the farm. Now they're gone and I'm thinking about restoring the little guy. It's still in good shape but just needs some TLC. Where do you get parts? Need a few body/interior stuff. Thanks for the reply.