Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

Rolled My Montero, need some answers.

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2006, 07:22 PM
Default Rolled My Montero, need some answers.

I was wheeling in the field behind my house the other night and rolled my 98 Montero Sport onto its side. It stayed that way for about 8 hours, when I was able to get my buddy to put back on its wheels. It was not much of an impact when I rolled it, or when I flipped it back. I changed the brake fluid, ATF, and Steering fluid. New battery, as the the old one was toast anyway, but the damn thing still won't start. Three people have mentioned some kind of cut-off switch that gets triggered on impact, and prevents the car from starting. Is this something I can reset myself? Or do I need to take it to a shop? Or, is there something else I need to take of first?
Thanks for the help, I'm really in a bind as it's my only vehicle. Any advice would be welcome.
Thanks!

Old 12-10-2006, 08:51 PM
Banned
Default RE: Rolled My Montero, need some answers.

Reset the ECU. Remove the battery for a while... and then stick the key in the ignition to drain the system of any extra power. Leave it for like 10 mins and hook it back up. Should work.

Old 02-18-2007, 02:36 AM

its a fuel cut off switch. on impact it trips like a circuit breaker. only way to reset is to find the switch and press the reset button but i don't know for sure that year has it

Old 02-18-2007, 02:42 AM
Banned

I have never heard of that.

Not tryin to call you out... im actually interested. Can you find an article on the internet that shows what you describe?

Old 02-19-2007, 02:11 AM

One of the least appreciated components in your fuel injection system is the fuel pump inertia switch. This little black box is designed to function flawlessly forever (or close to it), so it's easy to forget it's there. Its purpose is to shut off the fuel pump(s) in case of an accident, thus preventing fuel from being pumped all over the vehicle if there is a leak in the system. This obviously is a worthwhile thing to do, and one less thing to worry about if you are hanging from your seatbelt with your wheels in the air!
http://www.therangerstation.com/tech...tiaSwitch.html
couldn't find anything better to show you fromthe internet

Old 02-19-2007, 10:29 AM
Banned

Bad *** i learned something new.

Do you know where it is?

Old 02-20-2007, 02:43 AM

honestly never messed with one on a mitsubishi. just know most automakers use em now. only one i ever touched was in the jack compartment on a ford minivan