Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

Shift Solenoid Issues

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2020, 07:23 AM
Default Shift Solenoid Issues

Hello I have a 2002 Montero Sport 3.0 4x4 that is just so clean.

But recently had the trans hard downshift and seems stuck in 2nd gear with the code for "shift solenoid A"

So I replaced all 5 solenoids with reconditioned solenoids and cleared the code. I tested the old solenoids with air and checking the resistance and they all seemed ok.

But it keep coming back after the engine warms up. It will shift fine for a minute or ten then suddenly throw the code and be stuck again. Even if I dont drive it and just let it sit in park for a few minutes the code will come back.

What should I do? I found the ECM or whatever under the passenger kick plate but I cant find out what wires are what on it.

I'd also like to get or buy a real detailed service manual. It is really hard to find one on google these days it seems like every website is a fake scam. You cant find anything that you search for since it's all about who wants to pay google the most money. Remember when the internet didn't suck so bad?

Thanks for the help hombres.

Old 10-06-2020, 09:16 AM

Start by trying to locate the manual
Look at the couple first subforums on the Montero page. There is one called "Why don't you have a manual". It is a long discusdion, but within it there are links to the good old internet pages with actual useful information in them. Yes many current pages suck because they are coded to just grab what you are serching for and make it appear that the site has the stuff. I mean - you can "buy" genuine OEM Mitsubishi parts at Walmart according to Google. Drives me crazy 😡 You got to dig deeper, skip few front pages of search results, etc., and you'll find what your looking for.

Unfortunately I don't have a good answer for you regarding the shift solenoid issue you're experiencing. Since you got new solenoids, but problem continues, my (completely uneducated) guess would be - wiring harness to the solenoid, or something internal in the valve body. I wouldn't do anything more until you get a manual at this point. Then follow their step by step diagnostic procedure to see if you can isolate the issue.