Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

Throttle Actuator Control Motor circuit high 2003 Montero unlimited

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2020, 02:45 AM
Default Throttle Actuator Control Motor circuit high 2003 Montero unlimited

hello Ladies and Gentlemen can I get a little guidance?

So sometimes i would come to a stop and my montero would idle so low it would stall. I would start it up rev it and be fine.

Well today I started up after-work and i started driving got over 20mph and I noticed I had no power. I would push the gas pedal to the floor nothing would happen. I make it home and pull out my scan tool and it says
"Throttle Actuator ControlContrr circuit high "

I cleared the codes and push the gas pedal..instant feedback car revs normal

My question is
is it a fluke?
What should I do?

Thank you in advance

Last edited by Noahp45; 10-09-2020 at 06:35 PM.
Old 10-08-2020, 02:48 PM

Hi ...
I have a 2003 Montero Limited, and currently experiencing the same issues when at a stop or in a idle position.
My truck will slowly start to reduce rpm's until it just shuts off. I have to press the gas to keep it awake! Very frustrating because it was driving well until one day this starting happening.
My mechanic said, it is the throttle body need to be replaced. Another mechanic said to check a few things before you spend $$$ on that part. Check the catalytic converter if its clogged. So, i'm in the process of seeing if one of these could be the cause.

Old 10-09-2020, 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by KeshaM.
Hi ...
I have a 2003 Montero Limited, and currently experiencing the same issues when at a stop or in a idle position.
My truck will slowly start to reduce rpm's until it just shuts off. I have to press the gas to keep it awake! Very frustrating because it was driving well until one day this starting happening.
My mechanic said, it is the throttle body need to be replaced. Another mechanic said to check a few things before you spend $$$ on that part. Check the catalytic converter if its clogged. So, i'm in the process of seeing if one of these could be the cause.
Run the AC and see if it stops running, if it doesn't then its nit the cat

So I put some premium from chevron and haven't had any issues. Im thiking dirty throttle body and crappy gas.

Last edited by Noahp45; 10-12-2020 at 12:48 PM.
Old 09-28-2022, 09:42 PM
Default Problem return?

Hi. Did your problem stay gone? I'm having this issue:

Random & infrequent throttle control malfunction

I made a post about it just now if you search that. Should come.up.

Old 09-29-2022, 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by wilde
Hi. Did your problem stay gone? I'm having this issue:

Random & infrequent throttle control malfunction

I made a post about it just now if you search that. Should come.up.
no comes back every now and then I run 93, and I stay away from ethanol. I still get it from time to time

Old 09-30-2022, 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by Noahp45
no comes back every now and then I run 93, and I stay away from ethanol. I still get it from time to time
if you turn it off for any amount of time does it reset immediately? How long does it have to stay off before it works ok? Mine resets after 5 to 10 minutes. Almost like it's cooling down and resetting itself.

Have you checked the spark plugs, wires and Injector ohms?

A YouTube mechanic told me to keep a scan tool in SUV and check what the LTFTs are doing if it comes back.

Old 10-06-2022, 06:06 PM

Wow ! I’m glad to know I’m not the only one. Everyone that had voiced their issue is exactly what I experience. With that said, sometimes I have to unplug the the throttle body pigtail with the truck off, re-plug and then it will rev freely. Otherwise it’s like in a limp mode.
I have replaced the throttle body. It was an inexpensive TB from China. It fixed the problem that was linked to a bad one. It worked fine for another 1000 miles.
Now, I’m not sure if it’s a bad throttle positioning sensor or what. I do know the my Mitsubishi dealer can no longer supply me with this part.
My 2003 limited is a 3.8 L .
ANY SUGGESTIONS ALL?