Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

2003 Outlander - feels weird on ice

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2014, 02:00 PM

Thanks Claude!

I lived in New Hampshire for 8 years, so I probably experienced similar driving situations to you.

Does the Outlander have any sort of traction control, then? My gut feeling when driving was, there was no traction control at all & what I was feeling was the individual tires slipping & regaining traction which pulled the car in a "squirrely" fashion.

The tires are probably an issue as well. They're a cheap no-name brand that I'm assuming the used-car dealer put on so he could list "new tires" as a feature.

Thanks for the reply! I appreciate it.

-Paul

Old 03-25-2014, 02:04 PM

If your vehicle is equipped with traction control, it will have a switch or button to turn it on or off. Your owners manual is a great resource.

Old 03-25-2014, 02:17 PM

jkeaton - thanks. I really appreciate your friendly, helpful response.

Since I bought the car used, just a couple of months ago, there was no owners manual. And, although generally cars with traction control will have methods to enable or disable the function, it is not unheard of for a car to have a form of traction control that is simply always on.

Because I'm a new owner of the Outlander, I was not sure if it might have a limited slip or some other form of traction control that could be the issue. I came here looking to get some input and advice from other owners who perhaps have gone through something similar.

Your friendly responses have made me feel most welcome here. I sincerely appreciate your time and hope you have a great day.

-Paul

Old 03-25-2014, 02:20 PM

Your car is 2003 so I suspect it has only low speed traction control using the brakes to slow the runaway wheel.

Check your manual for description of whatever traction control there is but I think there is a speed limit for a 2003 car and my feeling is probably 30 mph max otherwise you will burn the brake pads.

If the tires are that poor then plan in getting better ones or getting winter tires for that time of the year.

Your life hang on 4 patches of rubber of about 10 square inches each.

Old 03-25-2014, 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by Paulrus
jkeaton - thanks. I really appreciate your friendly, helpful response.

Since I bought the car used, just a couple of months ago, there was no owners manual. And, although generally cars with traction control will have methods to enable or disable the function, it is not unheard of for a car to have a form of traction control that is simply always on.

Because I'm a new owner of the Outlander, I was not sure if it might have a limited slip or some other form of traction control that could be the issue. I came here looking to get some input and advice from other owners who perhaps have gone through something similar.

Your friendly responses have made me feel most welcome here. I sincerely appreciate your time and hope you have a great day.

-Paul
No problem! Glad to assist.

Old 03-26-2014, 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by Claude_A
Tires....plus remember ice is not dry but covered with patches of water or snow.

Tires are loosing and regaining traction at random hence the movement you are feeling.

AWC, AWD, 4x4 are no better on ice than 2wd in fact probably worst as they try to compensate by switching torque around at the same time as the tires are fighting for grip.

All the 4 wheels drives are better at is the Go not better at bracking or staying on track.

4 seasons tires loose traction at around + 7C and lower if you drive on ice often get ice rated winter tires otherwise you will be better driving a FWD with open dif that will not fight the tires.

I have 40 years of winter driving and learned to drive in the Canadian Artic ad drove everything from VW bug to fuel tanker and felt that unsetling giggle many time in the seat of the pants while driving on slick road.

Remember your only contact with the road are the tires.
+1. Tires, tires, tires